Change Is The Only Constant

Change Is The Only Constant

They say that there are only two constants in life, death and taxes; but there is also a third and that is change.

5
Change Is The Only Constant
Faryal Mirza

Outside my window there was a building being constructed, slowly I saw it grow in size and soon tower over all that took up its space. On top of the building was a crane with a red blinking light. Every night I would drift off to sleep with the steady beat of the light. It allowed a calm to wash over me.

I began to depend on the blinking of the light to sooth me into a sense of comfort as I lay in bed. The unfinished building began to become a marker of stability; I knew that I could count on it every night. However, as I said it was unfinished, meaning that one night I would not be able to look out the window and see what I had grown accustomed to. One day it would be finished and all would change. I would need to find comfort some other way.

So when it happened, when the light finally disappeared and I could no longer depend on it, I only had one choice. I had to adapt and accept the change that had occurred. If I did not, if I let myself hold on to the past then I could never move on. I would constantly be longing for what used to be, I would be shackled by the past.

There is a reason that most people yearn for comfort and stability. There is a calmness that fills you when there is certainty, no matter how small it may be. For me it was a blinking light, for others it may be grocery shopping every Sunday afternoon. However, a situation will always arise which will cause you to lose your balance. You will have to adapt and accept it in order to keep moving forward, otherwise you will become trapped.

We all have red blinking lights, something to let us feel at ease even if it just for a moment. Something to count on when you feel overwhelmed by the world, there is a feeling of bliss in knowing that you may be able to have something to count on. However, all things must change because that is just how life is. You can plan everything, but there must also be an awareness that plans do alter.

They say that there are only two constants in life, death and taxes. However, there is also a third and that is change. There will always be change, the only way to keep moving forward is to accept it. Allow it to become part of the plan you have tirelessly created.