Changes

Changes

A letter to those who think that the church is always constant

17
Changes
Huffington Post

Christianity has changed more in the last decade than it has in the last 100 years and it continues to change on a daily basis.

As a matter of fact, daily is probably an understatement.

I believe a better word to use is hourly.

No longer do we live in a God fearing, conservative world where church was the biggest thing to happen on any given Sunday.

Contrary to popular belief, people have lives outside of church on Sundays.

Life doesn’t halt for church services like it used to. Kids have sports and homework, their parents have work, families have parties, schools host events, etc. No longer are Sundays reserved only for morning services followed by evening home cooked meals.

No longer does the church frown upon people who don't look and act the same as their neighbor. The church has become a safe haven for people of color, for the LGBTQ community, divorced couples, hispanics, and every kind of person in between.

No longer is the church a place only for the spiritually “in shape” to congregate. The church has become a place for those who want more, for those who are broken, as well as experienced theologians. The church is no longer a place to judge someone for not knowing his Our Father, but to lift up and teach.

No longer does the church maintain a dress code or code of appearance. Come as you are. As broken and as filthy as a person can be they will always be welcomed into a place of worship. Not looked down upon for physical appearance.

No longer is the minister held to some kind of a higher standard. The minister, male or female, is human. They will never be able to be the perfect minister to every person one hundred percent of the time. The only person capable of that task is Jesus Christ (and believe it or not, there were some people back then that weren't fond of his ministering either). There are bigger and better things to worry about other than whether or not the minister will be preaching about what you want to hear or whether or not they are in the office when you would like them to be. Also, for the sake of everything holy, the minister cannot possibly be preparing services, ministering to the congregation, attending events, visiting shut ins, visiting hospitals, and then be there for his or her family at the same time. Cut the pastor some slack people.

The pastorate is also no longer reserved for middle aged white males with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed spouse and two kids. Please, get over the petty stereotypes. Women are clergy, the LGBTQ community are clergy, young men are clergy, minorities are clergy, Expand your horizons literally for Christ’s sake.

No longer is everything a sin or unholy. Again lower the ridiculously high standards placed upon christians. I personally have a tattoo and plan on getting more, swear on a regular basis, and have participated in premarital sex. This automatically checks my “going to hell” box on God’s excel spreadsheet right?

Fun fact: I’m studying to be your minister.

Lower the standards.

The church has changed. The church is still changing. If you choose to dwell on the “used to’s” and not the “will become’s”, you’ll be completely and utterly left behind.