Celebrity Culture Is Encouraging The Wrong Kind Of Celebration

Celebrity Culture Is Encouraging The Wrong Kind of Celebration

It's time to praise the people in our everyday lives.

74

In the past few years, I've observed a huge outpouring of love and dedication from fans and ordinary people in favor of those in the spotlight.

As long as media has been around, so has this phenomenon, but I think that the digital age and social media have only allowed it to grow. With the massive influx of new movies, TV shows, music, sports programming, and other entertainment, there are more people in the public eye to idolize than ever before.

And let's not forget about a new generation of stars, those that gained popularity from making Youtube videos, having famous parents, being models, or going on reality TV shows. These individuals have just as much influence, and sometimes more, than your typical celebrities.

It's easier now than ever to stay connected to what these people are doing. Through Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat we can see where celebrities are going, who they're hanging out with, and what they're working on. Not only that, but interviews for TV and movie stars have skyrocketed, and late night hosts constantly have special celebrity guests on their programs to discuss their personal lives and details about relationships, children, and funny anecdotes about their experiences on set or with fellow celebrities.

So what does this all mean? What's the point?

The effect is this: All the attention that celebrities get has the tendency to make us feel personally connected to them.

When we are able to keep up with people whose lives appear so glamorously fantastic, it often leads us to view them in an adoring, supportive way. And while I don't think there is anything wrong with having a favorite actor or really enjoying someone's music, society often takes it too far. Social media is where people go to show their highlight reel, and staged interviews are designed to show the most dazzling and interesting parts about someone's life. Rather than truly get to know these celebrities, we only see their image, which is sculpted into god-like status.

Rarely do we see celebrities on the bad days, or even the normal days. This makes it hard not to love people who are famous, and more importantly, it makes it harder to love the people that are a part of our everyday lives.

We should be loving and cherishing people not for being the best or the prettiest or the most successful, but for being human.

Sometimes it's easy to look at people and see their shortcomings, but I believe it is essential to see the good. And how much more significant is it to praise someone who has personally affected your life than someone that you've never met?

These acts of celebration don't have to be elaborate, just intentional. It could be as simple as thanking your mom for always being there to talk it out or writing a sweet note to a friend who stays up with you during those long night study sessions. Pure acts of kindness are one of the easiest ways to celebrate those in your life who love you, and sometimes they mean the most.

Let's celebrate the ordinary, easy, small moments in life with the people who truly know us, not celebrities who live lives removed from our true experience.

People aren't perfect, but they are worthy of celebration anyway.