Celebrating All Of The Mothers In Your Life

Mothers and motherly figures take many shapes and forms in our lives. We should celebrate them.

14

In the United States, Mother's Day is celebrated on Sunday, May 14th this year. For some people, this can be a joyous occasion for getting together with their moms, treating them to a nice meal, and maybe buying them something nice. Sometimes, this isn't the case. People can have strained, difficult, or even nonexistent relationships with their mothers. Some people have lost their mother in some way or another. No matter the reason, this day can be a rough one for these people.

This year will be my third year falling into the latter category. I will be celebrating Mother's Day with my family, and the passage of time doesn't make me feel any less awkward about my position in my family. My aunts will arrive to celebrate my grandmother, and my cousins will show up to celebrate my aunts. Despite living with my grandmother and her taking the place of a mother figure in my life, the void that is left by my mother's absence makes me feel disconnected and left out.

This year, I've decided to change that. Due to the void that is left behind by my mother, I have decided to double my efforts to make up for her absence. Not only will I try to remember the good times that I was able to have with her, I will celebrate my aunts and my grandmother. I will join in the celebrations with gusto to show how much I care for them and how much they mean to me, especially in all that they've done for me i the past few years.

You might be wondering, "What has brought about this change?", and your wonderings are not unfounded. It has take a few years and some searching, but I finally came to a conclusion that I probably should have reached a while ago. Yes, Mother's Day is about celebrating our mothers if we are fortunate enough to still have them, but it is also about celebrating those who have acted like mothers to us. It's about celebrating their efforts in helping us to grow and learn about life. These people don't even have to be our blood relatives to celebrate them and thank them for the impacts that they've had on our lives. It's all about personal interpretation.

This year, take the time to celebrate and thank these people who have been there for you. Thank them for caring about you, loving you, and supporting you through all of your endeavours. If you are fortunate enough to still have your mother and have a good relationship with her, show her how much she means to you. If your mother isn't around or you don't have a good relationship with her, try to remember some of the good times that you shared and celebrate those who are still there. Keep an open ear and an open heart as well. You never know who might need it.