I'm Celebrating Valentine's Day Twice and I'm So Happy

I'm Celebrating Valentine's Day Late, And I Ain't Mad

Hey let's face it were adults and sometimes we're busy... even on Valentine's Day.

87
Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash

Ah Valentine's Day, the culmination of America's consumerism. When I began bugging my boyfriend about what we were going to do on the glorious Thursday that was Valentine's Day, we both realized we had to work and couldn't put our adult lives on hold to bask in the glory of love's rosy glow. We made a deal. We'd do a small dinner after work, preferably that of Cane's, watch our favorite show and call it a night. I was content in this, but then, he went above and beyond and told me that not only would I get my small, quaint Valentine's Day on Thursday but we'd do it all over again... even if it was a few days later.

I've never been big on Valentine's Day, it was mostly my parents giving me chocolates and taking me out to dinner. "Romance" was never a part of my day. Even when boys entered the picture, I never found the one that would whisk me away on a whirlwind adventure. I figured I might just be the kind of girl that waltzes through life without a man, you know as a strong independent woman (which I still am #FEMINISM), but then I met someone who makes me stronger every day. I always thought terms like "my other half" or "the best part of me" were cheesy and unrealistic, but alas, I've been suckered in.

He thinks about far more than himself, which is more than I can say for many guys these days. He'll bring me a coffee just because. Impromptu backrubs are never out of the question. I don't even have to steal hoodies, he just gives them to me! He even got me a BLANKET for Christmas *cries for 1,000 years*. The feeling I get knowing someone actually cares for me and wants to put me first without me having to remind him that I exist is beyond amazing. This may seem like I'm setting a low standard for guys, but c'mon, in the age of tinder and hookups especially around a college-campus it's not like we expect much anymore. And then when he told me I'd get TWO Valentine's Days, I was on cloud nine.

By celebrating Valentine's Day a few days late, it's almost like we're making our own holiday. One that isn't about posting on social media, fighting for a reservation at a sub-par restaurant, or one-uping every other couple. We're making it about us. We're focusing on who we are as people and who we are when we're together. We're spoiling each other in our favorite way, with quality time. I think I may have found my new favorite tradition for Valentine's Day as we both understand that as 20-year-olds we have responsibilities that we can't just shirk because it's the 14th of February. We have an understanding that we're here to better each other and grow together, meaning that certain things like work may come first but we'll always have time for each other. 2nd Valentine's Day means far more than hearts and roses, it means I finally found someone who really cares about me; heart, mind, and soul.