13 Reasons Cats Will Always Be Better Pets Than Dogs

Live for the cats, die for the cats.

7727

I used to be a dog person, until I got a cat.

Sure, dogs are cool. They are man's best friend. But have you ever come home from a long day of work, thrown on your pajamas, laid on the couch with your favorite chocolate bar and episode of The Office just for your cat to come snuggle with you?

Let me tell you... Greatest. Feeling. Ever.

Chances are, you're reading this and you're a dog person. You're reading this thinking "How could someone say such a thing: "cats are better than dogs." But, I've lived with both my whole life, and I can say with full confidence that cats out-do dogs in almost every category.

Disclaimer: I am a cat person. This does not mean I dislike dogs; it just means I've experienced both as pets and picked my favorite based on these 13 highly accurate and detailed bullet points.

1. Cats don't see your belongings as theirs.

There is no need to share with a cat. You don't use their litter box and they don't beg for your food.

This brings me to point #2:

2. "Cats rule. Dogs drool."

Literally. A pool of saliva stringing from the chin of "man's best friend" drips and smears all over your pants. Disgusting. My cat's nose runs sometimes, but that's cute. I'd gladly wipe that off with the sleeve of my shirt. There is nothing like dog drool all over your blue jeans to make a fashion statement.

3. Cats don't chew your belongings.

I got a brand new stick of chapstick for Christmas (crucial for winter time). The next day, it was my dog's new chew toy. She ate the whole stick. Sure, she had soft lips and vanilla scented breath, but tears were shed, and not-so-cheerful words were said.

4. Let's face it... cats are so much softer than dogs.

Cats are like plush, living stuffed animals. Everyone says dogs are perfect snuggle buddies, but they take up more than half the bed 90% of the time. Cats are small and sleep right on your pillow leaving you all the space in the world to toss and turn.

5. Cats don't require your undivided attention for all hours of the day and night.

When you let a cat outside to roam around and hunt, you don't have to watch it to make sure it doesn't run off like you would a dog. You let a cat outside and in 2-3 hours it will come back and scratch at the door. No leashes, electric fences, or shock collars needed.

6. Cats are very self-sufficient - unlike dogs.

Dogs require so much supervision and care. If you have a cat and are going away for a mini vacation a couple towns over (3 days max), you can leave your cat unsupervised with food, water, and a litter box, and it will be fine. No pet sitters needed which means extra cash you get to keep in your pocket!

7. Cats aren't in your face the minute you walk in the door.

When I get home from class, I don't want to be greeted at the door by an uncontrollable ball of energy. I don't want something scratching at my legs and licking my face while I'm trying to relax with my favorite Netflix series. Instead, cats will gladly indulge in that Netflix series with you. Or, you know, do whatever a cat wants to do.

8. Cats can live anywhere.

Dogs require a space to go outside to at least do their business. Most of the time they need a place to roam and run. Cats are the most dynamic and adaptable pet. You live in a house? Get a cat. You live in an apartment? Great! Get a cat. You live in your grandma's basement? Weird... but get a cat.

9. Cats are invincible and never get old.

Sure, cats grow old in age but not in spirit. A cat will chase a laser pointer just as fast at 1 year old as at 15 years old. When a dog gets old, you end up playing fetch with yourself. They don't get excited over a fake-out throw of a tennis ball, and then, when you do throw it, they just watch it fly over their head and bounce behind them.

10. Dogs bark. Cats meow.

What would you rather listen to? The sweet "meow" of a cat or the insanely loud and persistent bark of a dog. Personally, I'd rather sit behind a crying baby on a plane for a 15-hour flight than listen to a dog bark at me over and over and over again.

11. Besides a fish, cats are the easiest pets to sneak into your apartment complex.

You won't get caught with a cat in the hallway or taking it outside because it doesn't require any of that. Plus, when winter rolls around and it's too cold to take your dog outside to do its business, get a cat. It shits inside all year round!

12. Cats are so simple to entertain.

You could makeshift a toy by putting a cotton ball on a string and attaching it to a stick you found in your yard and drag it around your house. A cat would be obliged to play with you. Dogs require so much energy. You can throw a ball for your dog to fetch, but halfway there, it will get distracted by something and leave you to go fetch it yourself.

13. Cats are overall more beautiful, graceful, and poised.

There is a stereotype that cats are stuck-up. They are the Regina George of Mean Girls. But, to be honest, you get out what you put in. If you love a cat, it will love you back.

Cats are weird. My cat drinks water from the sink faucet. He leaves his tongue out when he's too lazy to put it back in. And he sits on our dining room chairs and puts his front paws on the table and waits patiently for his plate of food just like a human would.

What does the dog do you might ask? She chases my cat.