It's OK To Have Casual Relationships, Even Though Our Friends Tell Us Not To

You don't need a boyfriend or girlfriend to be happy.

194
Unsplash

We live in the age of Tinder, Grindr, Bumble and OkCupid. The infamous saying may actually be true for today's young adults — there are really plenty of fish in the sea.

Societal norms for dating, however, have led us to believe that casual relationships are unacceptable and even reprehensible. In fact, we often feel ashamed of ourselves for getting involved in any type of relationship that deviates from the typical relationship standard.

Our current dating culture has changed dramatically and our standards for relationships should change, too.

It's OK not to put labels on relationships. We are young and have the rest of our lives ahead of us. Enjoy those moments while you can.

It's OK not to rush into a relationship. We can always figure it out later.

Casual dating is a time for exploration — it's a time to slow down in a world that always seems to be moving at a fast pace. More importantly, it allows you to be yourself without worrying about the stress of having to impress your significant other.

More often than not, we jump into any relationship we can get just because we desire a connection so badly. We'll do anything to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend because society tells us we should.

Ultimately, this distracts us from taking the time to discover our actual wants and needs, as well as limits our opportunity to connect with others.

Casual relationships can change that — it can allow us to focus on what we're really looking for in a relationship and helps us figure out if it's something that will be worth our time in the long run.

Go out on those coffee dates. Feel free to find someone to 'Netflix and chill' with.

You don't need a boyfriend or girlfriend to be happy. And you don't need to be in a serious relationship with someone to feel loved.

There are plenty of fish in the sea. Try to reel in all of them before you hook yourself to just one.