Cartoons Aren't Just for Kids Anymore

Cartoons Aren't Just for Kids Anymore

A journey back into the world of cartoons.

772
Cartoons Aren't  Just for Kids Anymore
Masternet

As long as I can remember, I loved animated cartoons. I grew up watching them every Saturday morning in my pajamas with a bowl of cereal. I was engrossed in the animated shenanigans that unfolded before me. "Tom & Jerry," "Batman Beyond," "Static Shock," "Pokemon," "Sailor Moon," "Xiaolin Showdown," "Avatar the Last Airbender," "Yu-Gi-Oh!," "Totally Spies" and so many cartoons are fond childhood memories for me.

But somewhere along the way I strayed away from my beloved cartoons under some sort of pretense that they were only for kids. I felt I was too old to watch my beloved animated favorites anymore. Where did this stigma come from? Who said I couldn't watch my favorite shows because I was older? Why did I have to stop watching this style of show? Could I watch these types of shows again now that I was older without seeming childish?

Fast forward to 2012. I'm flipping channels and settle on reruns of "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and "Hannah Montana." Nostalgic, right? Soon after, I came across commercials for a new show called "Gravity Falls." It's an animated show, and honestly, I was a little interested in it.

It gave me that "Scooby-Doo" mystery feeling and I decided to at least give it a try; if it turned out to be some kids show that was full of immature fart jokes and pranks, I'd probably know from the beginning and I could stop. No one had to know of my brief return to the world of cartoons, and I could continue my normal life. Right? Well, that wasn't the case. After episode one, I was in love with this show. Eventually, I tuned in to watch every new episode. I guess you could say that I was hooked.

Behold - real life images of Alex Hirsch pulling me into the "Gravity Falls" fandom.

Suddenly I realized that animated cartoons weren't only for kids, and a teenager like me could enjoy them. But again where did this notion originate? Why did it seem that I would hear "those are for kids?" But more and more, I discovered that I could be a teenager and still enjoy animated things without it being considered childish.

The characters were relatable, hilarious and the animation did not distract from the show. In fact, it added to it's charm because it allowed things that could not be done in a show with real actors, sets and props. It was a gateway into an imagination completely unrestricted by the real world. I loved it.

The imagination that these shows foster will bring you back to your childhood and allow you to escape the stresses of your daily life, if only for a little while. Now more people are realizing that not all cartoons are just for kids. You don't have to re-watch your old favorites to get your cartoon fix either—you can watch new shows that are just as good, maybe even better than the old classics in their own unique way.

The world of animated cartoons is stepping up their game in terms of new television shows that will be entertaining for both children, teenagers and adults. They're mixing it up, keeping it real and most of all keeping it fun.

"Gravity Falls" and many other shows are pushing into the hearts of those who may be hesitant to delve back into the cartoon world—and they're doing it by bringing equal gender representation. Two of my favorites include a Disney XD show called "Star Vs The Forces Of Evil" and a show currently aired in 120 countries around the world called "Miraculous." In both shows, the main characters are strong and individualistic females.

Former lovers of "Sailor Moon," we now have "Star Vs The Forces Of Evil" which is shortened to "SVTFOE." It's centered around a "magical princess from another dimension" named Star who comes to Earth to learn how to control her magical powers in a safe environment. Along with her best friend Marco, they battle the forces of evil try to take Star's magical wand.

This is a show that appealed to me immediately because I am a huge former lover of "Sailor Moon." It's charming, quirky and all about fun. But it also teaches you valuable life lessons such as embracing your individuality, being aware there are always two sides to a story and what it means to be a true friend. It continues to capture my heart in the most adoring ways and it's action packed and fun.

If you weren't a huge fan of the "magical" genre like I was, then the good news is that there's a new show airing about superheros. Yes, you read that correctly comic lovers—a new show about superheros. Talk about excitement! It's called "Miraculous" and it is taking the internet by storm.

Originally airing in French, where it is set, the main character is the heroine Ladybug. She has the powers of good luck and uses this to help save and protect Paris, with her partner Chat Noir—or Black Cat. It's a great show that captures the daily lives of two students who need to transform into superheroes to save their home city. This show will have you sitting on the edge of your seat as the greater plot unfolds! It also teaches you life lessons like watching what you say to others and how your words can hurt even if that wasn't the intention.

Overall, cartoons are an under-appreciated art form to the majority of the world. The stigma that those who are older and watch cartoons are childish has kept the enjoyment of cartoons from many who may want to watch them.

The genre is not exclusive to kids, folks. It is inclusive of people of all ages, races and creeds. There's only one qualification: you have to be willing to hop over the fence that society's stereotypes created and take a look around. If you do, you'll find that it's a colorful world.