I Don't Care...Or Well, Maybe Just A Little Bit

Sometimes it's better to just not care, but that doesn't mean not caring at all.

494

I don't care, at least not about the little things. I don't care about the problems that in the large scheme of things won't matter. These little mistakes won't affect my future or even matter in the next few hours. You see, worrying about everything only makes you more stressed, and I think we have enough stress in our lives already.

So yeah, I don't care if I run out to the grocery store looking like a train wreck - hair in a messy bun and XL T-shirt wrinkled to hell. I don't care if I accidentally spill the cup of water off my desk or if I break a nail. If I cared about every little thing that happened to be I'd be drowning. I have bigger fish to fry and more important stuff to worry about than little mishaps that pop up in my day. I didn't always use to be like this though. There was a time where every spill, every mistake, every mess up use to send me over the edge. I spent more time being upset about what happened then figuring out how to fix it. So now when I knocked over my water, I wipe it up. When I break a nail I cut my losses and clip the rest of them.

There are times to care and times not to. Your reaction to something can illustrate to others what is important in your life. When EVERYTHING is important than nothing is worth more than something else. This can lead to explosions of emotions and unsure feelings which only make the whole situation worse. This also means making yourself so much more stressed out than you need to be.

Your hair doesn't always have to be perfect and your clothes don't always have to be ironed. Sometimes it's okay to just not care. Not caring releases a lot of stress and allows you to focus on more pertinent items. Yes, sometimes it's the "little things" that make life meaningful and unique. I'm not talking about the good little things but rather the little errors along the way. I'm in no way saying that you should not care at all. What I'm saying is not everything is a personal attack on you, even though you might see it that way at the moment. Try and take a deep breath before expressing emotions that might not be as an appropriate reaction as you think.

And yes, there are things you need to focus on and should evoke certain emotions when they happen. You should care about how you look for a job interview or when meeting your significant other's family for the first time. So find out what you should care about. If you realize that it's every little detail than maybe you need to step away and look at the big picture.

Save the sadness and stress for life's overwhelming problems. If you find yourself upset over every flop that happens then you might need to sit down and reevaluate the significance you place on each thing. It's okay to be dramatic sometimes and over the top, but you should also work to understand why you act that way. Trust me, I'm one of the most dramatic people you'll meet but most of the time it's just for show. I can't remember the last time, a little bit of spilled milk, actually ruined my day. And if it did, then there was probably an underlying problem.

Just try it. Next time a little accident occurs, don't care. Fix the problem and be on your way. Trust me, it helps to decompress and not be so hard on yourself sometimes. I don't care, well I mean maybe I do a little bit, but only with the situations that truly matter.