8 Ways to Incorporate Cardio Without Using a Treadmill

8 Ways To Skip The Treadmill In Your Cardio Routine

Because running like a hamster on a wheel just isn't for everyone.

105
https://pixabay.com/en/fitness-exercise-sport-cardio-1909979/

We've all been there. You walk into the gym and walk towards the treadmill section and think, "not today." Or even worse, just the thought of hopping on the treadmill could be keeping you as far away from the gym as possible. Despite the treadmill's popularity, it no longer has to be your go-to cardio workout. There are so many other options, but here are eight that I have found to be not only effective but fun!

1. Kickboxing

I didn't begin to kickbox until earlier this year when my friend convinced me to try a free class where she took lessons. However, once I started, I was hooked! By the end of every kickboxing workout I am dripping with sweat, and it is a great outlet to release stress and aggressions in a totally healthy way! In addition, it provides built-in self-defense, improves balance, and works the muscles in your body from head to toe!

Try it! Look into somewhere local- most of them will give you a free class or a free trial. After taking a few classes, I invested in a pair of gloves and now just use the punching bag at my local gym!

2. Running outside

While running on the treadmill is both exhausting and monotonous, running outside can provide you with many benefits. Running outside allows a change of scenery and you can soak up some Vitamin D while you're at it! There is also no set pace that you are forced to maintain, so you don't need to worry about slowing up when you get tired. And with autumn just around the corner and heat waves behind us, it is the perfect time to pick up a pair of sneakers and get out there!

Try it! Start slow- run until you start to get tired and then make the trek home. Don't be afraid to take it slow and walk if you get tired! Or, if you're worried about not making it home, start at a park or somewhere with a track! That way, you could just do as many laps as you can without worrying.

3. Stairmaster

Before you knock this one off your list, give it a try! The Stairmaster (from my experience) burns more calories in a shorter time than the treadmill. I have found that my lower body is much more toned after a few times on the Stairmaster than it is from a few miles on the treadmill. It also reduces the impact on your lower body, while the treadmill puts incredible amounts of stress on your knees and ankles. And the best part is, if you don't belong to a gym or can't find the time to get there, you could use any flight of stairs!

Try it! Begin at a lower speed and shorter time and work your way up. Don't be discouraged- climbing stairs is harder than you would think! Even if it's only two or three minutes, the toughest part is getting started! Once you get more comfortable, try to climb sideways or kick your opposite leg back as you step to mix things up!

4. Elliptical 

The elliptical is another low-impact machine that still serves as a great workout! The motion of the elliptical is very natural for your body, so it shouldn't cause any pulled muscles or joint pain. The elliptical can work your arms as well, so it really is a full body workout! I have also found that because of the easy motion of the elliptical and the fact that using your arms is optional, it is a good option if you need to multitask (like check some emails or do some studying).

Try it! Start with a low resistance and a short amount of time! There are a few different types of ellipticals (I prefer the ones that also allow you to adjust the incline), so try a few and find the one that is right for you! And, to pass the time, try to watch a TV show to keep you distracted (I like Friends because they're only 20 minutes!).

5. Swimming

I've found that swimming is one of the most underrated forms of cardio! It is one of the easiest activities on your body since the water allows for smooth mobility, and it burns a ton of calories! Especially on hot summer days or after a strenuous workout, swimming is a fantastic way to build cardio into your workout without breaking a sweat! With many activity trackers such as Fitbits and Apple Watches making waterproof models, you may even be able to track how far you've gone.

Try it! Whether it is at your local pool, at the gym, or in the privacy of your own home, there are many places where you can work on your swimming. Start by doing a few laps of freestyle or even treading water and then working up to doing more laps! Make sure to stay hydrated though- it's much easier to forget to drink water when you can't feel yourself sweating!

6. Tennis

Playing tennis is something that I didn't pick up until my sophomore year of high school when a group of my friends and I joined our school's team. Despite not being the best player (then or now), it has become one of my favorite sports and I have so much fun playing! It's easy to grab a group of friends to play or even play by yourself against a wall. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you will find that running around the court is more exercise than you would anticipate! Play singles (one on one) for an intense competition or doubles (two on two) to work on team-building and include even more people!

Try it! Many towns and schools have leagues that you could join, or you could create your own with some friends. Friendly competition is what keeps the game interesting, so don't be afraid to show your strength! You can borrow a racket from a friend or stop by a sports store and pick one up for as little as $15 (they can get in the hundreds for a nicer racket, but I've found that my reasonable priced one has held up very well over the past 3 years!).

7. Bike ride

A bike ride is less impact on your body than running, and it is a great workout for your legs! While it doesn't burn as many calories as running, you can build up your leg muscles and get in some cardio with uphill rides and by increasing the resistance on your bike. It provides you with a healthy dose of Vitamin D if you ride outside, but there is also an option to ride indoors as well! Riding outside can be a good form of transportation since you can travel a few miles, and you could bring a friend along with you for some friendly competition!

Try it! As you're driving around your neighborhood, look for bike lanes or a park where you think that you could ride around. Or, once it gets chilly outside, look for a cycling class at your local gym or community center and take a friend with you!

8. Dancing

Since I was a little girl, I have loved to dance. Whether it is a more elegant dance like ballet that tightens your legs and core, or a fun dance like salsa that gives you a cardio workout, dancing is a great way to burn some calories and have a ton of fun! Dancing builds self-confidence as it tones your body- what more could you ask for? You can enjoy your favorite songs in a lighthearted and happy workout atmosphere, and you don't even have to be at the gym! You could be working on your dance moves at a party or even around your house and be working out while you do!

Try it! Take a Zumba class with your friends, convince your significant other to try salsa lessons with you, or even just dance by yourself around your living room! Often times dance studios will offer a free first class, and after mastering the basics you can take your new skills with you back home and everywhere you go!