An Open Letter To My First Car

An Open Letter To My First Car

In memoriam.

39
An Open Letter To My First Car
Sage Spitz

To my first car,

The first time I saw you around the corner from my house, I couldn't believe my eyes. My dad planned an elaborate surprise to give me my first car, inviting my grandparents over to see my reaction. I thought it was a prank when I saw your beautiful silver facade roll into my driveway. You immediately stole my heart. Sure, you were older, but you were brand new to me. I drove you to the store on a basic trip to buy milk for the house, and I showed you off like you were my own child. We had a lot of memories in the car. We went on road trips, blasted music and went on adventures. I grew up in the years I had you. I was once a senior in high school, and here I am about to be a junior in college. You have served me well. You knew the route to Panera like the back of your bumper, and you never failed to get me there.

Sure, we've had our difficulties. Who could forget the engine failure debacle of 2015? But we got it through together. You endured being jump-started when I so carelessly left your lights on. But you didn't give up on me; you got charged up and drove me home like the prince and chariot you are. You protected me when I was in my first accident. You were the one that cradled me from harm and made sure everything would be OK. You are a sturdy tank that I can trust with my life. Thank you for putting up with all that my friends and I put you through. The food crumbs, the loud music, the screaming -- it was all probably very new and disturbing to you, so I appreciate your patience with me. Maybe most importantly, thank you for dealing with the conversations I have with myself concerning the other drivers around me. Driving can get super frustrating, so I'm sorry you had to deal with my relentless nagging. You never judged me for the way I sang at the top of my lungs and danced like a mad woman when I was listening to songs. You never spoke up when I used your steering wheel as a drum set, or your blinker as a way to keep beat. You just let me be my own crazy self. I know it may confuse you as to why you must leave, and I don't say goodbye without a heavy heart.

It's time to move on, though. I could not have asked for a better car to ease me into college life and go through a bunch of new experiences with me. You will go off and be driven by a new owner, who will hopefully appreciate you as much as I do. You deserve nothing less. I will miss you and our time together. No one can replace you. You will always and forever be my first car.

Forever yours,

Sage