"Captain America: Civil War" Is One Of Marvel's Best

What was it about "Civil War" that made it such a hit?

13

If you're like me, you showed up to the movie theater this weekend with apprehension. Marvel had a lot to prove with "Captain America: Civil War". Viewers were skeptical about the third Spider-Man reboot in 15 years. They were unsure what to expect after the flop of DC's hero fight movie, "Batman vs. Superman". And, as with every movie, audiences wondered when Marvel productions would become repetitive and generic after so many movies.

However, few fans left the theater disappointed. In fact, I'd be prepared to say this is the best Marvel movie yet. That's a pretty huge statement, so I've broken it down into five reasons why "Civil War" knocked it out of the park.

Beware: spoilers ahead!

1. Directors seamlessly juggle a multitude of characters.

Cap and Stark's final teams each had six heroes, and no one was neglected. Sure, the main plot of the film surrounded Tony and Steve, but each character was given a moment to shine in battle, and many and their own subplots and struggles. Even Vision had a few funny comments that kept him in the spotlight. This is especially evident in the fact that the Russos were able to introduce two new characters without the movie feeling over-packed or crowded.

2. The plot is focused on the Avengers.

"Ultron"was good, but arguably spent too much time focusing on the bad guy than on the Avengers who we know and love. This movie put the bad guy in the background. After all, we show up to see the Avengers, not Ultron or Zemo.

3. It wasn't even Captain America who stole the show.

Ant-Man and Spider-Man are what tipped the movie over the top. Both provided humor in the airport scene, Ant-Man running through Stark's suit saying, "This is your conscience," and Spider-Man saying, "Have you seen that really old movie, 'Empire Strikes Back'?" This illustrates, yet again, the Russos' ability to juggle so many characters and still pull it off.

4. You'll feel the emotions of the characters throughout.

This isn't a common compliment for superhero movies, but when Tony finds out Steve and Bucky's secret, it hits you hard. This movie will have you switching sides throughout, and you'll feel every blow friend delivers to friend.

5. THE AIRPORT.

I've never considered myself to be a super-nerd, but I sure felt like one during this scene. My jaw hit the floor several times, and other times I was grinning from the humor or from the sheer awesomeness of so many beloved characters doing what they do best. As mentioned above, everyone gets their chance to shine, and the entire scene is a dream for Marvel fans. With that said, the filmmakers balanced the action well. Some hero movies are too action-packed that you get tired, but this one balanced the action perfectly.