Can We Please Stop Apologizing For Everything Because I'm Sorry But I'm Not Sorry

Why Do We Feel The Need To Say Sorry All The Time?

155
Korana Lajter

I’ve spent most of my life apologizing or at least I have always felt that all I’ve ever done is apologize. For what? For things that didn’t need to be apologized for.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry for how I feel. I’m sorry that I don’t like what you like. I’m sorry I don’t have feelings for you. I’m just sorry.

Sound familiar?

I’m pretty sure we have all done it. Say sorry for no apparent reason, say sorry just to say it etc. Why should I say sorry? I feel how I feel and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m sorry it makes you feel, some type of way but why should I say sorry? See I just apologized for no reason. I think most of us apologize to make the other person feel better about themselves. Honestly, I think we also do it to make ourselves feel better as well. And because we feel like we owe them something in a way.

I’m tired of apologizing. I’m tired of always having to say sorry for how I feel, or the things I want or don’t want in my life. It’s exhausting it’s a terrible habit as well. The first thing I think about is I have to apologize, or I do it unconsciously without knowing. Sometimes an apology would come out my mouth and I wouldn’t even know it until minutes later.

Which makes me think why do we always feel like we have to say we’re sorry? I mean I know a bunch of people who are just like me. What’s worse is that majority of the people saying sorry are women. Which pisses me off, because it’s always us.

So, I’ve decided to stop apologizing. Or at least stop saying sorry for certain things because if I hurt someone or I’m wrong I’ll admit it and apologize. But if I feel a certain way about something, or don’t like something I’m going to have to stand my ground. Even if that means hurting someone’s feelings. No one should ever feel like they have to change their views or apologize to make someone else feel better. I’ve learned to say the phrase “I agree to disagree” no apologizing necessary. When it comes to certain arguments, I’ve also learned to shrug and keep it moving. Or the best one is just to be silent.

Apologizing to me is only for certain reasons. We use them on a daily basis that they lose their value. Some of us say sorry just to feel the void or because we have nothing else to say. I know I’m guilty of it. I won’t say I won’t slip up or never say sorry to anyone. I’m just saying say sorry for the right reasons. Don’t say it on a whim. And when you do say it. Say it like you mean it.

But In the great words of DemiLovato, “Baby, I’m sorry (I’m not sorry).

What do you guys think?

Do you think society apologizes too much?

Do you think women apologize too much? Do you think men don’t apologize for enough? Let me know!