The Feelings Being Back On Campus Brings

I knew that I was excited to go back to college but I didn't know I was going to feel like a different person.

21
Indiana University

It's amazing how a place can change a person. It works in different ways for different people but everyone typically has a few places in mind that bring them joy whether it's a family members house, a vacation spot, their favorite spot outdoors, or even their own bedroom, everyone has a place they love most. For me that place is college. I knew that I was excited to go back to college but I didn't know I was going to feel like a different person when I came back.

Walking onto campus and across the parking lot trying to find the place I needed to go to get my room key I was greeted with at least 5 hugs. My former RA, friends who lived down the hall, friends that lived in the building across from the one I lived in last year, and I was flushed with so many emotions. The first thing that I felt was joy. Everyone can admit that in one way or another being missed feels good. Seeing people that want to see you and greet you with genuine hugs feels good. Even if you didn't keep in perfect touch over the summer you know that when you come back together that nothing has really changed and that you can still talk to this person like a day hasn't gone by. Feeling the joy in the ability to look around and think about the memories that you created in the past with some of your favorite people. Feeling the joy that reflects off of others when you see how happy they are and how this feels like their home too.

The second feeling you get is excitement. Stepping into a leadership role this year I had no idea what training week was going to look like. I came in with a timid excitement and that changed after the first night our team was together. After getting over all of the introductions and the average chatter every day opened up and is still opening up the opportunity to go a little deeper and get to know each other a little better paving the way for an exciting year with new friends.

Walking into this semester also gave me a change of scenery because living in a new dorm is exciting in itself. Getting to have air conditioning this year is a blessing alone but also getting to decorate in a new way and arrange everything the way you want it with more space is always a good way to start off your year and make the place feel even more like home even if you didn't know it was possible.

The most exciting part though is when everyone gets back. Having a leadership position and getting to school 10 days before everyone else and living in a four person room by myself isn't as fun as it will be when my roommate, suite mates, best friends, and boyfriend all get back. I can already feel the campus buzzing back to life and the energy that everyone is going to bring back to campus.

It's amazing how everyone says college changes a person and they are right about that. It's great to be back at Trinity and see what Sophomore year has in store for me!