16 Ways To Calm Anxiety

With school starting up in less than a week, there are a lot of people who are nervous about the upcoming school year. Most people have the usual nervousness for the beginning of a semester and some people have more severe cases. I happen to fall with people who have more severe cases. I've had anxiety for as l can remember and moving away to college definitely increased my symptoms. Living with anxiety means learning how to cope with anxiety, which, at some point, we will have to do. Managing anxiety can be tricky. But the key is to convince yourself that it really is okay and that you can relax knowing that you will be okay, whatever the case may be. These are the calming methods that have worked for me. There are many more calming remedies besides these sixteen. Explore which options work best for you.

Take a step back

Whenever you're feeling a little overwhelmed, just take a step back. Close your eyes and try to pull yourself out of the situation and calm down before analyzing the situation. Create a strategy to cope with whatever is causing the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Breathe

Inhale for 7 seconds, hold it for 7 seconds, exhale for 7 seconds. When you are feeling anxious, always take slow, deep breaths. This will help slow your heart rate and tell your body that you're okay which will aid in calming down.

Go for a walk

Observing nature is a sure way to relieve stress. Plus, taking walks provide some exercise to help exert some energy while clearing your mind. For me, going for a walk is like mindful meditation. It's calming and relaxing during the walk and gives euphoric feeling afterwards.

Listen to music

You can listen to calming music or jam out to your favorite songs. Personally, I like to jam out to my favorite songs. It's something that is familiar, exerts energy, and makes one feel happy. Who doesn't like singing (or at least listening to) their favorite song?

Practice self care

The power of self care is immense. During self care routines, you are able to unwind and rejuvenate. Afterwards, you'll feel like a new person. Take a bath, get your nails done, cleanse your face, or do whatever relaxes you. If you look good, you feel good.

Reduce consumption of stimulants

Stimulants like caffeine and sugar can cause anxiety to be worse. Cut back on soda consumption and try some tea (or something even less caffeinated to your liking) instead. Reducing stimulants can reduce the intensity of anxiety.

Challenge negative beliefs

If your friend is nervous for an exam and thinks they are going to fail, what would you say to them? If you have a belief that you won't do well, put yourself in the perspective of a friend. What would you say to someone if they expressed the same concern about themselves? You would tell them not to worry and that they've got it handled. Why should your situation be any different? This strategy of challenging negative thoughts can help you learn to talk to yourself as a friend rather than the alternative.

Question negative thoughts

Whenever we're anxious, our minds create a bunch of unconventional thoughts. The good news is, if thoughts can be created they can be destroyed. If you find your mind running astray with negative thoughts, ask yourself "Is this worry realistic?"

"Is this likely to happen?"

"Is this really true or does it just seem that way?"

Ask yourself questions that counter your worried thoughts. Talk yourself into being calm about the situation. Eventually, the negative thoughts won't materialize as often.

Meditate

Meditating is a journey that has a wide variety of choices. At first, it may be difficult to learn how to meditate in the way that works for you but once you figure out what meditation works best, it's smooth sailing. Even just sitting quietly for 15 minutes every day might make a difference.

Clean your house

If your house is messy, then cleaning it might help to ease some stress. Once clutter is cleared it will be easier to rest knowing that there is one less thing to worry about.

Get plenty of sleep

Sleep plays a key role in health and well being. If you don't get enough sleep, then health problems will begin to accumulate. Inadequate sleep will only make anxiety worse, so sleep as much as you require.

...and exercise

Exercising is really good for health and well being but is also sometimes difficult to get into. Even walking for 30 minutes every day can make a difference.

Be early

If you are early then you won't be worried about being late. Plus, arriving early to events will provide benefits depending on which event is being attended.

Aromatherapy

Everyone knows someone who loves essential oils. Oils like lavender are good for calming anxiety. You can put some lavender in a diffuser, dab some on your wrist, rub it on your temples, and you can even smoke essential oils. Don't knock it

Calming visualization

Watch calming visualization videos like someone painting, fish swimming, ocean waves, or whatever calms you down.

Don't be afraid to talk to someone

If talking to someone is what you think you need to do then you should do it. You don't have to go straight to a therapist if that sounds like a daunting thought. You can start with a family member or close friend and at least get their opinion on it. Don't be afraid to reach out. Don't be afraid to improve your quality of life.