André Aciman's 'Call Me By Your Name' Is A Classic Love Story In Our Modern Times

A coming-of-age story, a love story, and a coming out story, "Call Me by Your Name" contains a lot of themes that come together to make a beautiful piece of literature.

6
Italy

This story takes place in the Italian Riviera, where an adolescent boy called Elio and a guest at his home called Oliver grow a mutual attraction to each other during the summer season. It is a journey of acting indifferent at the beginning then growing more passionate and unrelenting emotions for each other. A romance grows that has a limited capacity in its length, making it an affair that each of them won't forget for the rest of their lives. Not only will Elio and Oliver not forget their story, but readers will hold their story close to their heart for how iconic and enrapturing it is.

"Call Me by Your Name" is an Academy Award winner and 94% Rotten Tomatoes romance/drama film.

Normally, film adaptions of novels can be a little tricky because of the major differences between the two. "Call Me by Your Name" is one of those few lucky stories that ended up on the big screen with a beautiful adaptation that won't get viewers raging at the inaccuracies. Yes, the film is different, but I recommend it anyway. It is directed by Luca Guadagnino and stars Timothée Chalamet (I recommend most of his movies - he is a young and upcoming actor with major talent) and Armie Hammer. It is a memorable story, whether you decide to watch it or read it, and it will stay with you because of how true and honest the love between Elio and Oliver is. If you want more of their story, there is a sequel called "Find Me," which is not quite the same as "Call Me by Your Name" but gives a more satisfying ending to Elio and Oliver's relationship.

According to Goodreads, "The psychological maneuvers that accompany attraction have seldom been more shrewdly captured than in André Aciman's frank, unsentimental, heartrending elegy to human passion. Call Me by Your Name is clear-eyed, bare-knuckled, and ultimately unforgettable."