You Have To See 'Call Me By Your Name'

You Have To See 'Call Me By Your Name'

An honest review of the breakthrough film...

4174
You Have To See 'Call Me By Your Name'
via Flickr

With three golden globe nominations, the film Call Me By Your Name has taken cinema by storm. Not only is it a beautiful love story, but it’s a beautiful love story between two men, which does not grace our screens enough, especially on the big screen.

Without giving too much away, the story follows teenager Elio (Timothee Chalamet), who spends the summer in Northern Italy with his parents. His dad is a professor and has a student come to stay with his family in the summer. The student, named Oliver (Armie Hammer), is intriguing, attractive, laid back, and ultimately “American” as Elio’s family pokes fun at his catchphrases throughout the film.

The two fall in love, and a magical, yet heartbreaking story follows as they both navigate a feeling very foreign to them, and shunned by most of the world. The story is set in the 1980’s, so being gay was not something people openly discussed like we do today.

There are a couple reasons you absolutely have to watch this movie. Number one, if you’re in the mood for a romantic movie, this is definitely for you. There are so many sweet moments throughout the movie that make you gush in your seat.

The chemistry between the two is a beautiful thing to watch unfold and will make you walk out of the movie longing for your other half. The way the movie manages to tell this story without honing in on the homosexuality aspect of it is done impeccably. As far as love stories go, this should become a classic.

The second reason why you need to see this movie as soon as possible is its cinematography and its soundtrack. Set in Northern Italy, the cinematography surrounding this film is absolutely stunning. In my opinion, it looks straight out of a Van Gogh painting, with beautiful rivers, scenic towns, and a beautiful house that Elio and his family reside in. Everything about this movie is visually stunning: it truly makes you feel right at home within the movie. It takes you away and draws you in.

Now, the final reason why you have to see Call Me By Your Name is the fact that this film manages to promote so many positive messages in one movie. First, the use of three different languages throughout the film is extremely well done: in fact, most of the movie involves English subtitles for the Italian and French exchanges throughout the film. Elio and his family speak Italian because they live in Italy, so it’s only realistic for them to be speaking Italian to live there for so many summers. Also, the family is French-American, so they have many French friends who don’t speak English.

So, again, it is only expected that they speak their native language to each other. The second part to this is the inclusion of queer cinema in mainstream cinema. It is rare that we, as movie viewers, see a movie about a same-sex couple, or a transgender couple, or even a bisexual couple. LGBTQ representation in cinema is so incredibly low, that it’s even upsetting I have to point out this fact at all.

In my opinion, Call Me By Your Name has opened doors for many, many more queer stories waiting in the shadows to be told, to be heard, and to be loved by many. If this movie, a movie about a same-sex couple, can get three golden globe nominations, including best motion picture- drama, then I can only imagine what other stories similar to it will receive in the future.

To acknowledge the arguments that this movie isn’t good: yes, I do see an issue with the age gap. Oliver is 24, while Elio is only 17. However, I feel like the age gap is not something I paid attention to throughout the movie. Elio never seems to feel like he’s taken advantage of, and there never seems to be any hesitation on his behalf in terms of sexual conduct.

Yes, it’s not the best decision on either part, but I don’t feel the movie ever focused on the age gap. I don’t even think their age was ever stated but maybe once in the movie. The movie itself focuses on love, at its simplest, and at its most complicated stages. The age gap is part of the complicated stage of their love story, which is what makes it so real to watch, and so heartbreaking to see.

Call Me By Your Name overall received great reviews, and from an acting standpoint, was the birth of fantastic performances by everyone in the cast. Never once did I feel anything was superficial, and love stories often make me feel that way. I am not a huge fan of romantic movies, but I would see this one three times over again. So, you should get yourself to the nearest theater showing this movie: this is something everyone needs to see!