Why 'Call Me By Your Name' Is Worth The Hype

I definitely cried for two hours and became obsessed with the soundtrack.

160
MYRA Entertainment

This past weekend has become, what can only be described as, a total flipping mess. With constant studying for a huge chemistry exam on Monday, Purdue losing its chances at NCAA championships, being introduced to the beauty of Sufjan Stevens’ music, but most importantly finally knuckling down to watch the critically acclaimed Call Me By Your Name. I’ve wanted to watch this movie since January when I first saw a trailer for the film. The beautiful cinematography, directing style, and color pallets, from an artist’s standpoint, made this movie a must see. Sadly with school, pledging, and life in general, seeing this movie got put on the back burner. But this is not a overhyped, semi-foreign film that should be looked past. I agree with critics, this just might be this decades romance movie.

Now for some background information on the film. It's set in the summer of 1983, and 17-year-old Elio Perlman is spending the summer with his family at their 17th-century villa in Lombardy, Italy. He soon meets Oliver, a handsome doctoral student who's working as an intern for his father. As the summer progresses, Elio and Oliver become romantically involved with each other. This is what the movie is centered around, the two boys falling in love. But there is a sadness in this, because this is not a love story, but rather a story about love. It tugs at your heartstrings and makes you remember your first love and how it made you feel everything all at once.

As I said before, it’s not just the storyline that makes this such an incredible film. The cinematography, directing, location, music, and color pallets are what make the film. Director Luca Guadagnino wanted the film to feel like it was in first person, so he used only one lens for the entire movie. This is crazy because most film studios use at least nine. This gives the movie the sense you’re actually in Italy watching first hand Elio and Oliver fall in love. Personally, my favorite part about of any movie is the soundtrack, and this movie has a beautiful one. Songs like “Mystery of Love” and “Visions of Gideon” play along perfectly with the nostalgic and dreamy feel of the movie.

After watching this movie I realized why it got so much Oscar buzz. It leaves you breathless and thinking about the characters long after the movie ends. I’ve actually watched it another two times since my initial first time. The film is so well made and the actors are so real with their characters that it amazed me. I highly suggest everyone go and see this beautiful film so you too can relive a first love, and heartbreak.