New City Cafe Is Changing The Face Of Beechwood, Rochester

The cafe is serving up coffee, pastries — and job opportunities for teenagers.

30
New City Cafe / Facebook

This old cell phone shop needed way more than a little TLC. Years of neglect and mistreatment were immediately visible.

Walls were falling apart, wires dangled from the ceiling and needed to be brought up to code and windows needed to be replaced. They needed to replace the radiator, build walls from the ground up and completely redo the floors too.

Construction began in 2016. People from all over came together to volunteer their help.

Companies donated products.

Artists decorated the inside.

Lights, windows and an air conditioning unit were all donated or sold at a discount.

A cafe stood in place of the forgotten cell phone shop.

Now, the sugary sweet aroma of espresso and tea take over. The whirring of the coffee machines, the beeping of the cash registers and the clinking of the cups and plates fill the room. Warm, flaky pastries and gooey doughnuts are eaten. The customers converse in between their food and beverages.

A smooth wooden floor is under the bar and beige tile covers the rest. A giant wooden bar with beautiful red oak countertops sits in the middle of everything. Stainless steel espresso and coffee makers stand on the countertops.

Espresso-colored cabinets hang just behind the bar on the walls.

Wooden tables and chairs are placed by the windows. By the door is a wood pallet wall where teens and local artists hang their work. On the wall hangs a mural of Beechwood by artist Dunstan Luke.

Behind the bar, teenagers work and learn all about the coffee industry.

* * *

New City Cafe – located at 441 Parsells Avenue in Beechwood, Rochester, New York – hopes to serve as a place where everyone comes together. However, the bar not only connects all of Beechwood, it also gives teenagers a chance to learn the business.

441 Ministries owns New City. Located in Beechwood for five years, they've become an entity for a once neglected neighborhood. They've put together community gardens, NA meetings, Bible studies and a kids programs.

The kids' program is the strongest. They go on field trips, have Bible lessons and play games.

The kids loved the program, but there was a problem. As they got older, they became less interested; eventually leaving the ministry. 441 knew they needed to do something.

They created a program for teens. The program was similar to a Big Brother program.

The big brother program allowed teens to shadow an adult and see what happens in their everyday lives.

Their second idea was New City and having the teens work there under careful supervision.

They built New City for two reasons: to implement the mentoring program for the teenagers and to revive Beechwood.

"With a café, it’s not only a huge blessing for the people receiving jobs - cafes also provide a great place for people to just get together," assistant director Nick Trombley said.

"They facilitate discussions and provide opportunities for people who wouldn’t normally talk to each other to come together and have a conversation."

Trombley got involved with 441 because he wanted to give back. He talked about how he grew up never going without what he needed and about having a happy childhood with good parents. He is interested in the differences between him and others who weren't so lucky to have a good childhood.

His time with 441 started in 2013. He volunteered with their Summer Meals Program and Summer Farmstand. The meals program provides the neighborhood kids with healthy lunches and the farmstand provides fresh produce to the neighborhood.

One day he went through his email and found a newsletter from 441 about the café. He immediately wanted in on the project and hoped there would be a spot for him. Project director, John Lee, emailed Trombley in December 2016.

They met for lunch and hit it off. Lee offered Trombley the position of assistant director right away.

* * *

Beechwood is also full of teenagers.

Trombley says that at any time there will be 10 to 15 teenagers riding their bikes up and down the streets.

They rarely have job opportunities.

New City gives them something to do and teaches them. They work behind the bar, make and serve coffee, work the register and interact with the customers.

The teens heard about the cafe through the grapevine. Some saw the construction and others heard it through 441. Some teens were even approached by the café owners.

Most of these teens had never been through an actual interview before. The cafe began with "getting to know you" interviews. They shared tips and pointers and invited the teens for a second interview.

The second interview was all about role playing. They put the teens in real-life situations to show them how to react.

The third interview was a celebration to welcome them into the business. Trombley said the three girls chosen were no-brainers.

Before New City, Anderson worked at Marshalls and at Rochester Public Market. She loves working and learning all about the coffee industry. She gets along with her co-workers and feels right at home at New City.

"My favorite aspect of working at New City Cafe is working with the other staff members and developing friendships with them. I have been learning a lot about the coffee industry, including coffee lingo, how to use various coffee equipment and basic business skills," she said.

"I feel that it’s a place where a lot of teens will flourish. They gain work experience, learn about coffee and connect to the community," she said, "It doesn’t even feel like work because it is such an enjoyable, homey experience."

She continued, "I hope the neighborhood experiences better communication and community through New City Cafe. If more people come together there is potential for New City Café to become a landmark in the neighborhood. A place where the community gathers and takes ownership."