An Open Letter To My Anxiety

An Open Letter To My Anxiety

Anxiety, I am officially breaking up with you.

2
An Open Letter To My Anxiety
Patricia LaRusso

Dear Anxiety,

You are a weight that has been dragging me down for as long as I can remember. I have always had a lot to say, but I've always been known as "shy" because you kept me from speaking up. You pressured me into saying "no" to hanging out with large groups of friends and you always made me second guess myself before any event. You've kicked in at school, at work, on vacation, around new crowds and even around old friends and family. Because of you, very few people from my past know the real me. That is why I am writing to tell you that I will not let you control me anymore.

You probably think that I'm bluffing, because I've tried in the past and failed. But unfortunately for you, I am more determined than ever to win this battle. The previous failed attempts to beat you have taught me lessons about what will and will not work for me. For example, I know that two minutes with any animal will get rid of any anxiety attack I may be having, music will never cease to calm me down and if I can find a way to make a joke about the situation your affect on me decreases. I also understand that my instinct to turn to food for comfort is unhealthy and needs to be controlled and that I have a lot of work to do if I plan to completely control you.

I fully intend to enter college with more confidence than I've ever had. I've already taken the initial steps to control you. I've been combating my instinct to turn to food for comfort, and although it may be too soon to say I really do believe that I will be successful this time. I've stepped out of my comfort zone and began hanging out with large groups of people. I've kept my best friends close and even reached out to newer friends without letting you tell me no. As you've probably noticed, your grip on my life has already loosened tremendously.

So this is it and I am finally courageous enough to tell you no. No, you can't make me skip the party that I've been looking forward to for weeks. No, you can't keep me from initiating conversations with new friends. No, you can not make me stay quiet when people are talking about something I'm passionate about. No, you won't make me second guess myself anymore. And no, you most certainly may not make a fool out of me in public anymore.

Hate is a strong word but after all that you've put me through, I can honestly say I hate you more than anything else in the world. Anxiety, I wish I could say that our time together has been fun, but it hasn't been fun at all. You have tortured me for years and that is why I am "breaking up with you" and putting an end to our "relationship."

Goodbye!

— Someone who will not miss you