But I Fell In Love With A Farmer

But I Fell In Love With A Farmer

What happened when I let go of my "life plan" and lived life instead.

271
But I Fell In Love With A Farmer
Sam Miller

Whenever I was 13 I was certain of a few things in my life. I knew I was going to be a lawyer, didn’t want children, and that I wanted to marry a politician. Fast forward a decade and here I am! I’m working on opening an event planning business, can’t wait to be called mommy, and I’m engaged to arguably the best man I have ever met in my life. He isn’t a politician (although our pillow talk almost always consists of political banter) but instead a farmer.

Now I’m not an outdoorsy person. Unless you consider outdoorsy being drinking wine on patios. I hate dirt, get angry that the cornstalks are blocking my view, and would much rather spend my time shopping. So saying that when I first started dating my fiancé (he’s an agronomist technically) my world was changed.

When I pictured my life with my future husband I always imagined taking vacations to the beach every summer. Getting away from small town life and enjoying the sand between our toes. However, the warm weather of the summer is also when the farm is busiest. So there are no trips, no vacations, and no salty air. I want these escapes so badly,

But I fell in love with a farmer.

I pictured date nights as movies, and fun outings, picture worthy memories, and sometimes even getting dressed up “just because”. These date nights don’t occur. My dreams of fancy dates don’t happen. Instead on some Saturday nights I find myself working hard on jeans that are stained with dirt, sweat, and who knows what else. It’s a far cry from fancy dinners,

But I fell in love with a farmer.

I wanted dinner to be something that we cooked together. Eating together and talking about how our days went. Instead, sometimes it’s cooking a big meal only to eat dinner alone. Making a plate to put in the microwave for when he comes in at 12, 1, or 2. It’s waking up in the morning to see that the plate is left untouched in the microwave because he was just too tired to even eat when he got home. I often envy those couples that get that special time together.

But I fell in love with a farmer.

******

But I fell in love with a farmer.

Dates often consider of being picked up and heading to the fields to GPS the work done from that day. It’s me sitting next to him in the tractor, and him teaching me how to drive. It is playing a game while in a car where I try to guess exactly what crop is planted in each field we pass. I have gotten pretty darn good at it. I used to never even pay attention to the crops on trips,

But I fell in love with a farmer.

It is turning out house into a home, even when he questions why we have 14 (real number) of throw pillows on our bed. It’s bypassing the bright feminine colors and going with a cool grey instead. It’s always questioning pieces of art to make sure he would still like them in the house. While I would cover the house in pinks and animal print and glitter, I know without asking that is A-NOT-okay. Sometimes I wish I could have those things,

But I fell in love with a farmer.

I always knew I wanted someone intelligent, faithful, and someone who put me first. I have found that and way more in my farmer. I now know what it is like to see the joy in his eyes when crops start appearing, and to see him water the plants at our house before he comes home. He sacrifices so much for our little family. He is forever educating me, and never condescending. (Even when I still argue that a walnut isn’t a fruit) He has secretly kept my poor hibiscus alive, and let me take the credit for it. He listens to me rant as I recap my whole day for him. He always tries to stay up with me, even when I know he is so exhausted just to spend time with me. I have never been sent flowers but instead brought flowers from the side of the road that makes him think of me. He works so hard so that I don’t even have to. He is so strong, yet so gentle. While he is definitely the quiet one, he still speaks to me. He is the first person I look for in a room, and he keeps me steady. He is my rock, the force that keeps me grounded. He tells me when I’m overreacting (often) or when I’m being sassy (always) or when it’s okay to be upset (also often). While I like to think that I am his world, it is he who is my sun, forever brightening my day.

I still get excited when I see my phone ring and see that he is calling me to tell me he’s on his way home. I find myself being pulled to him in a room. I cook his favorite dishes when he returns home from a business trip and I cuddle up with him every chance I get. I have learned so much. I’ve seen sunsets on a tractor, North Carolina in the spring, and know the joy of a spontaneous weekend get away in March. I have gotten over my problems with dirt and I have even learned how to clean and cook duck, just because it makes him happy.

If I could go back to my 13-year-old self I would tell her just how wrong she is. I would urge her to open her mind and broaden her horizons. To not judge people based on their occupation an to branch out to know a wider variety of people. I would let her know that it is hard. Not all the time, but definitely harder than she thinks she can endure. While the 18 hour days in the summer and sometimes fall will leave her so sad and sometimes angry, that it is always worth it. I would tell her that it isn’t going to be perfect, but it will be worth it.

I always wanted that true love, the selfless sacrifice, and the ultimate love story. It is safe to say I have found that and more in my fiancé, and I am so so proud of him every single day. I wanted a fairytale,

So I fell in love with a farmer.