Businessman Willie Wilson Bails Out Complete Strangers

He Believes in Second-Chances.

25

Willie Wilson, successful businessman and former mayoral candidate of Chicago, IL, has done the unthinkable. With all of the talk about men and women being locked behind bars and deserving a chance, he took from his own money and bailed complete strangers out of Cook County Jail. The count went form 6, to 46, to 64, all beginning in the month of September, with hopes of bailing up to 100 inmates by Thanksgiving, spending at least $15,000.00. Now considering we all just had a feast over the weekend, I hope we get to hear the latest of Mr. Wilson’s good deeds.

Now lets hear the facts. Mr. Wilson’s first 6 bailouts were those who acquired misdemeanor offenses and were unable to make bail on their own. People are really wondering [why] Mr. Wilson decided to even bail out people he did not even know. But the real question should be, “How can someone else go about trying to make the same change for others locked behind bars...for the minor offenses they’re being bombarded for...and of course, while there’s plenty of real criminals out on the street murdering children, and committing acts of sexual assault?”

According to Mr. Wilson, “Some of these kids just had an ounce of marijuana and locked in jail for two or three weeks, months or years, it doesn't make sense.” And that my friend, I AGREE. There are so many criminal acts being committed at a severe level, while most of law enforcement’s attention tends to lock away folks for possessing marijuana, or trespassing, or petty theft. We see so many headlines in the media about people getting off or minimal time for committing acts of rape. How does that work? It doesn’t and it shouldn’t. Period. I’m sure you all agree, right? Hmm.

It was actually most, if not all, of the offenders' first time being in jail. According to ABC7 in Chicago, Wilson worked with the sheriff's office to handpick individuals who would do better off back in society than remaining in jail. Some of their bails were as low as $500, but they couldn't afford it at all. As we all know, the system does a good job at targeting individuals of poverty-stricken families and neighborhoods.

We need more people like Willie Wilson in this world, people who recognized that every one labelled as a criminal is the total opposite, people who see the potential in people, people who recognize that some people deserve their freedom. And ya know what's even more astonishing about Mr. Wilson's good deed? Every individual he has bailed out thus far received $200 from him to spend on bills, rent, or food, as well as received a Thanksgiving meal.

Mr. Wilson has made it clear that he will not stop advocating. He is dedicated to helping the lives of those who he believes deserves another chance in society. Today, he is continuing to work with some lawmakers to draft a bill that will get people charged with misdemeanors out of jail without having to make bail. If nobody else, he definitely will and I think I speak for everyone when I say that his actions do not go unnoticed and are amazing beyond measure.