Building My Leadership Skills as a Woman

At the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders.

9
Oluwatobi Oluwagbemi

I got to know of the American Association of University Women in my school when I got the application for a scholarship for National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, and I got very excited about it. I then sent an email to my women studies adviser about it, and she encouraged me to apply. I looked at what the definition of a leader was online, and I knew deep down that it was meant to be for me to go to this conference. I then wrote an application and asked my professor to help me write a recommendation, and I took a lot of time to proofread my application before submitting it. When I submitted my application, I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I then started dreaming of what it would be like. I was thinking of what I could do to get accepted because I knew it was competitive, and I prayed to God that I would be chosen. I got an email in March that I got accepted, and I was excited about that. I then volunteered to help out at an event that AAUW was planning at my school. The event was called “Tech Savvy,” and I helped out with young girls going for workshops, and I had so much fun helping out. I then met a student at St. Cloud State University named Brinken who had gone for the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, and we connected via social media. I was excited to meet a student who had so much in common with me and was also doing amazing things on my campus. She was passionate about women leadership just like me.

I then started to think about what women issues I was passionate about and I thought of my role model, Michelle Obama. I then decided that I was most passionate about gender equality, education, gender based violence, empowerment and health. I have always looked at great women like Chimmamanda Ngozi Adichie, Sheryl Sandberg and Arianna Huffington. I then started to pack for the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, and I was ready to go to Washington DC.

I was not disappointed in DC at all. I went to the first session of networking and I got to talk and participate. I then went to other sessions where I also participated and I was so excited to meet powerful women who brought each other up and not bring each other down. I was so amazed at the women who gave me positive comments about the speech I gave at one of the public speaking sessions. I was so energized by the powerful women in the room. I also loved the dancers who danced to West African music, and I was really excited about that.

I also loved the Women in Distinction Awards, and I loved the slam poetry, which inspired me to write poetry. I loved listening to advice from women who had been through all the things I have been through too. I loved being able to dream of being like them one day. I was so energized by the energy in the room, and it was great to contribute to that energy. I must say that I clapped till my hands were red and hurt me, but it was worth it to cheer up great women in the room. My favorite session was when I got to speak at a public speech session and I spoke about Michelle Obama and how she was the pillar behind her husband. I spoke about how she was so educated, sophisticated and calm under pressure. She has been confronted with a lot of criticism because she is the first African American First Lady, but she is always an intellectual and never gets angry, but she is always diplomatic and relaxed and even talks about ignoring the haters and focusing on what is important in life. I learned a lot at the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to be a student leader at this conference, and I want more students to come and also learn like I did. I believe that women are the pillars of society, and society should appreciate women more. I love meeting awesome women with great goals every day.