BSL: Bullsh*t Legislation: An Open Letter To Montreal

You Bought the Bull

6
Huffington Post

C'mon Canada, first Bieber now this?

Montreal passed Breed Specific Legislation (BSL), which means that all dogs deemed "pit bulls" that come into shelters will be euthanized. If a "pit bull" is owned, anytime it goes outside, it has to be muzzled; no matter the age or temperament. Also, the standards for deeming a dog a "pit bull" are "a large head and a wide neck". Well, I guess you poor big headed small dogs with large floppy necks are pit bulls now.

Why does this piss me and other animal advocates off quite so much? Because it's bullshit.

Think about if it was a group of people, outlawed and forced to be marked anytime they were out. People would be up in arms. I get that many believe the stereotype about pit bulls, that they are mean and nasty and bloodthirsty, simply because the media says so. Hey, the media also said this about German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobermans. Before Max was a Disney star, he was the type of dog that struck fear into the hearts of many, simply because the media said his breed was mean, nasty, and bloodthirsty. The idea of that kind of dog being the star of a Disney film, along side a child, would be as preposterous as the idea of a pit bull starring in a Disney movie is today. Also, before German Shepherds were nanny dogs and police dogs, pit bulls were. Why? They are incredibly loyal, loving creatures who would do anything for their masters.

It is not the breed who has done wrong, it is the deed that was done wrong. When the news of the Michael Vick dog fighting ring broke, people were quick to condemn him and his friends. Rarely did you see anyone condemn the dogs, if you even saw that at all.

Why have they turned into these bloodthirsty creatures again? Ask the media.

Also, what they won't tell you is that dachshunds are less likely to pass the American Temperament Test than pit bulls. Pit bulls pass by an overwhelming majority, while dachshunds pass by a slim majority.

I have volunteered at an animal shelter for seven years. I have encountered all kinds of dogs and all kinds of pit bulls from all kinds of situations. Never have I ever been bitten by a pit bull and never have I ever feared a bite from a pit bull. The only time I ever feared being bitten was from a little dachshund, who, yes, I could have picked up with one hand, but he wanted to eat me.

So, Montreal, you disappoint me. You bought the bull, you believed the crap. Now any pit bull type, whether or not they are arthritic, blind, deaf, sweet, or all of the above, will need to be muzzled if they are owned. If they are not owned, they will be killed, simply for being them.

Long rant short, punish the deed not the breed, and don't buy the bull, for pit's sake.