To My Little Brother As You Enter Your Senior Year Of High School

Good luck doing as well as me.

175

Dear little brother,

In about a week you're starting your final year of high school, and while I know you're excited, I know you're also probably terrified. I know this because I was, as are most people, even though no one wants to admit it. It's OK to be terrified, but don't let it keep you from getting the most out of this year, because it'll be your last chance to make some memories with the people you have gone to school with since before kindergarten.

Dear little brother,

I know your extracurricular activities are such a big part of your life. This will likely be the last year you get to play sports for your school, so take advantage of all those little moments, even when it's hard to push through. Enjoy every chance you get to play Space Invaders at tennis practice, and give every match your all because the season goes by fast and I don't want you looking back and wishing you had played harder. Soccer has always been a big part of your life, and I hope you score all the goals you've ever wanted to score this year because you deserve it. The last day you wear a Badger uniform will come quickly, so play your hardest every minute you're on the field. And while it's more likely you continue your band career after high school, it isn't a guarantee, so play every note on your trombone with everything you've got (but make sure it sounds good).

Dear little brother,

You're so smart, but senioritis is a real thing, and it can be hard to push to the side. Don't let your grades slip this year, because your grades this year are just as important to getting scholarships as the rest of your high school years were. And scholarships are important, my friend, so stay on top of those applications.

Dear little brother,

Your faith in God blows me away. I feel like you're so much stronger in your faith than I am now, and certainly stronger than I was at your age. I pray this doesn't go away, because I truly believe you could change the world. Your passion for the Lord could change the world. I know that at times its hard to stay true to that faith, but cling to it, for He will lead you where you need to go if you just give Him the chance.

Dear little brother,

While I want to come to every one of your marching contests, tennis matches, and soccer games, ultimately the fact of the matter is that I'm three hours away from you, and that won't be possible. I promise I will come to as much as I can though, because you're my best friend, and I'm going to be your loudest fan whenever possible.

Dear little brother,

Make the most of this year. Do everything you possibly can while still keeping your sanity intact. Spend time with your friends. Participate in a couple senior skip days. Have school spirit. Go to prom. Make friends with your teachers, and learn from their advice. Little brother, have a wonderful senior year. It only happens once, and once you're out of those hallways, you can't go back, no matter how much you may want to.