Broken Is Beautiful

Broken Is Beautiful

“If there is a crisis, you don’t freeze, you move forward. You get the rest of us to move forward. Because you’ve seen worse. You survived worse, and you know we’ll survive too. You say you’re all dark and twisty. It’s not a flaw, it’s a strength. It makes you who you are” – Derek Sheppard

36
Broken Is Beautiful

In the world today, we are often confused that the happiest and most successful people have the perfect lives that anyone can ask for. We see all our troubles and think that there is something wrong with us. We think life isn’t supposed to be this hard. You watch TV and see these famous people living in luxury as if they are living the true American Dream. What if I told you those people were just as damaged as you? What if their tough experiences made them the strong successful people they are today? Would you believed that broken can be beautiful? Here are some situations that not only make you stronger but also shape you up to the person people will admire.

WHEN YOU LOSE A LOVED ONE

Anyone who has ever lost someone close to them knows there is no pain quite like it. The moment you receive the devastating news it’s like someone literally sticks a knife through your heart and time stops you in that moment for what seems like forever. You cry, you question, and you mourn. The sorrow you feel is deep down to the core. In some situations you feel as if you are completely broken and will never be the same. However, with time, you begin to accept this loss. You remember the good times and the great accomplishments of this person. It teaches you to appreciate every little moment with family and friends. It also wakes you up. You realize that your time could come any day. It makes you remember to live each day of your life to the fullest and be a better person. When your time comes, you want people to remember you for all the good you’ve done in this world.

WHEN YOU’RE LIVING IN POVERTY

Its’s hard to live in poverty, especially when you’re in college. Not only are you stressing over tests, work, and relationships, but every day you wake up with the knowledge of exactly how low your bank account is. There are some days when you literally have to struggle with the choice of starving or spending the money you barely have. Even though you’re hungry sometimes that $8 burger and fries is more than your budget. In the long run this helps you appreciate the job you have. Jobs shouldn’t be a hassle or something you dread. You should want to work to better your life. It is an opportunity you should be thankful for. It shows you that eventually hard work does pay off. You start appreciating those long hours a little more once you get your check and see the reward of it. With the right amount of hard work and budgeting you can get yourself out of poverty. It just takes the will to work.

WHEN YOU ARE STRUGGLING IN SCHOOL

College can be a wake-up call for a lot of people. You expect it to be as easy as high school. Unfortunately, that is not the case. It can be a very stressful and depressing time. The first test comes around and you treat it just like you would in high school. You listen in class (without asking questions), do a few problems (instead of the whole section your teacher assigned you), review the two days before the test for about an hour each night (without emailing your teacher about that problem you’re still struggling with), then you take your test with confidence only to realize that you have failed it. This can be a huge shock and most people don’t expect it. Some will freak out and have breakdowns, others will shake it off and try harder the next time. Just know that this happens to everyone. It’s hard to transition, but eventually with time, you’ll get it right. Then, once you get that A, you’ll know that you truly deserved it. So don’t accept failure. You are better than that. Try again until you are successful. It helps you realize the beauty of self-improvement and also gives you the drive to fight for what you deserve.

WHEN YOU GO THROUGH A HEARTBREAK

Love is a beautiful thing, but it can also be very scary. You give your heart and soul up to somebody and you expect them to do the same. Unfortunately, we all know it’s not always a happy ending for everyone. Sometimes things happen and people change. Usually, it’s the good ones who end up hurt. If you have ever loved somebody and been heartbroken, you know just how devastating it is. Not only does it break your heart, but its strips you of who you are. You become distant and weak. You feel like you aren’t good enough, so what is the point of anything. Although this experience is not a joyful one, it does make you stronger. You learn to move on, and accept the past. You realize that you deserve better. So eventually, you patch up those scars, start to be you again, and move on. This makes you ready for the next relationship because now you are strong and aware. You learn to grow and never settle for even a little less than what you deserve.

WHEN WORK IS BECOMING STRESSFUL

Work, work, and more work. That’s the only way to make a living right? That kind of pressure to maintain a steady job can be very stressful. For some, they put in so much effort to get that promotion or impress their boss and they still seem to fail or go unnoticed. That’s a scary situation because it can make people feel like their absolute best isn’t enough. They feel like a failure. Then it seems like they are slowly watching all their hopes and dreams come crashing down because they will never be good enough to fulfill their position.

Here’s the thing though, everyone has struggled at their job once or twice in their life. At first it’s going to be hard, then eventually you catch on, but there will be a few things you still need to learn. Don’t think of this as failure. Think of it as self-improvement. You might not be where you want to be, but you are further than where you started. Keep working hard and it’ll pay off eventually. All the little things you do that go unnoticed will be recognized and you will be successful. The road to success is a bumpy ride, but those who have the ability to become great are able to stay on the ride until they meet their goal.

Being broken is a scary thing. It can destroy the best-rounded people. The weakness, the scars, the nightmares, the broken hearts, and the damage is not something to be ashamed of. It is something to embrace. It’s what creates the strong men and women that we look up to in the world today. Instead of hiding it, we must appreciate the struggles and have faith that they will guide us to become people who inspire others. What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.

We look up to our elders. Why? Because they are filled with knowledge. They have lived for decades and experienced the same struggles of life that we are experiencing now. The only difference is they are the living example of what comes out of a broken individual, which is pure beauty. They are proof that with patience, things do get better. So don’t let life bring you down. Hold your head up high and finish the fight. One day you’ll be one of the wise elders that the younger generation looks up to and you’ll understand that broken is indeed beautiful.

“There’s an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the houses have been ripped apart. The wind will hush, the clouds will part, the rain will stop, and the sky will clear in an instant. But only then, in those quiet moments after the storm, do we learn who was strong enough to survive it” –Meredith Grey