To My Broken-Hearted Best Friend

I know you hurt, I know you’re confused, and I know you want answers. No matter how hard I try, I won’t be able to un-break your heart, I won't be able to speak on his behalf and give you the clarity and answers that need from him; but what I can do is remind you of your worth, as you’ve reminded me of mine time and time again.

I’m so sorry. I’m sorry he has yet to realize how incredible you are. Maybe he doesn’t love the way you wheeze when you laugh or that you point your finger when you’re telling a story, but I do. He might not appreciate your selfies that you took eighty times over and consulted with me fifteen times before you sent, but I do. He may look right past that happy-go-lucky personality and might not see that you are everything he could ever want or need, but I know exactly how incredible you are and how good you could be for him. You are my best friend and I will admire everything about you, even if he never does.

You are one of the most genuine people I know and there’s no way he doesn’t see that too. Everyone I know who has met you is drawn to you instantly, including him. It may be that he’s “not looking for anything serious at the moment,” but I promise he thinks about you. As much as I hate to say it, you two probably could be perfect together – just not at the moment.

At this moment, he needs to focus on himself. He needs to be selfish, he needs to play the field, and he needs to have fun. I’m sure it sounds like I’m taking his side, but I promise I’m on yours. The reason I say he needs to do these things now is so he doesn’t hurt you later. As much as I want you to be with the guy who makes you happy, I don’t want you to be with him until he’s done these things. I don’t want him to be with you and wonder what he was “missing out on” if he never had a chance to experience his freedom. I know if you two were together you would still want him to go out and have fun, but he probably doesn’t know that and even if he did, he would feel bad doing so. He needs to enjoy himself, guilt free, and you need to enjoy yourself, worry free.

When he’s had a hard day or when he’s lonely, you’ll cross his mind. When he starts thinking more about his future, you’ll be the one he sees in it. When going out and going home with strangers gets old, you’ll be the one he wished he was sleeping beside. When his parents ask him if he’ll ever settle down, you’ll be the girl he pictures at the end of the altar. If he doesn’t picture your face in each of these scenarios, then he isn’t worth being the one you picture in each of yours.

You’re too beautiful, too talented, too funny, and too charming to shed tears over someone who doesn’t realize your worth. If we’re being honest, I guarantee he knows exactly how incredible you are, yet he knows that he isn’t quite ready for you. He has to put himself first now, in order to put you first down the road.

If all else fails, if I’m wrong about my assumptions, you know I’ll be there to catch you. Never doubt for one second that you aren’t enough just because he isn’t ready. You know I’ll pick you up, I’ll wipe your tears, and I’ll remind you that you how truly incredible you are. You are exactly what someone is praying for and then some.