Broadway Bucket List: Beautiful: The Carole King Musical

Three reasons why Beautiful: The Carole King Musical should be on your Broadway Bucket List and will remind you that happy days are here again.

20
Allyson Szymanski

Whether you grew up with music of Carole King, love a good jukebox musical, or just want to escape into the world of live theatre, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical is sure to please. Here are three reasons why Beautiful should be on your Broadway bucket list of must-see shows.

1. The production does a masterful job of blending the "magic" that Broadway musicals often deliver, while still holding true to the very realistic, honest, and at times even heartbreaking story of Carole King's success. The show lacks the spectacle that many contemporary musicals may possess, but yet it still offers an enticing and creative approach to both the contemporary and the jukebox musical. With it's effective use of set design and strong characterization that plays to the humanity of Carole King's story, Beautiful is able to keep the audience intrigued by King's inspirational story from beginning to end. Beautiful's ability to blend the realism of a true story with the creativity and flair that can only be seen in live theatre makes for an entertaining and refreshing experience.

2. With seven Tony nominations, including Best Musical, and two Tony Awards, including Best Actress (Jessie Mueller) and Best Sound Design of a Musical, Beautiful delivers a production that is a masterful example of what both the jukebox and contemporary musical can bring to the table. Beautiful's story and music is further highlighted by an impressive array of technical aspects. The productionoffers a functional and impressive set design that allows for timely and effortless transitions from scene to scene, and a lighting design that further compliments the seamless use of the set.

3. Carole King's story is one of inspiration and admiration. Her perseverance and wit serve as a wonderful reflection of the humanity of artists or of any one who has ever had a dream. From the moment King's character first connects to the audience, one is drawn to her likable personality and infectious passion for her work. Beautiful allows the audience to see the story behind the music that helped to form the sounds of an era, as well as continue to inspire everyone who can relate to King's passion, benevolence, and authentic zeal for her relationships, life, and music.

One thing is for sure, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical will remind you are truly as beautiful as you feel.