8 Items I Wish I Had Brought To College

8 Items I Wish I Had Brought To College

After living away from home for a couple of weeks, you will probably make a few trips to Dollar General or Walmart when you realize you missed a few small items when packing up your room.

37
dorm room desk

I spent the whole summer leading up to move-in day browsing Amazon and making trips to the mall and other local stores in preparation for decorating and furnishing my dorm room.

Even with all the effort, I still missed a few things. Here are some small, easily forgotten items that I would recommend any college freshman to add to their move-in day list.

A water filter

upload.wikimedia.org

I never used a water filter at home, but I wish that I had one now. I don't like carrying a refillable water bottle around campus with me, because it seems like there is hardly anywhere to refill it. I drink the carbonated water drinks, Bublys, but I can't keep the can in my bag after it has been opened.

I resorted to buying a small case of water each week, but I think it would be more efficient and less expensive to have a water filter.

A lint roller

live.staticflickr.com

I learned that when using dorm dryers, your clothes may come out with a lot more lint on them than at home. Needless to say, I had to buy a lint roller after just my first load of laundry.

Photos

images.pexels.com

I did not realize until I had decorated my room that I had brought several picture frames and photo displays with me, yet I had totally forgotten to even bring any pictures! If there is anyone technology gift that I would recommend to someone, it would be the HP Sprocket printer. I was gifted one a few years ago for Christmas, and I use it all the time. It prints photos that are about the size of a polaroid photo, and the photo paper can be peeled off and they can be used as stickers as well!

Non- refrigerated microwaveable food

upload.wikimedia.org

I didn't have a fridge for a few days when I moved in, because my roommate was not scheduled to move in until the weekend. But, I still wanted something besides popcorn and protein bars when I got the munchies at night. I thought nothing of buying some microwavable mac and cheese to keep in my snack basket, but I did soon add that to my shopping list.

A jacket for inside the dorm room

pixabay

August in Alabama is blazing hot, so of course, it never crossed my mind to bring a sweatshirt with me. However, I soon found that you can twist the knob on the side of the air conditioner as much as you want, but the temperature of the room is not going to change.

A (bigger) trash can

live.staticflickr.com

I bought a trash can from Amazon that is less than a foot deep and can only hold a few items. When the hall trash cans get too full to add anything to them, it makes me wish I had a bigger trash can in my room so I don't have to go out in the rain to make a trip to the dumpster.

Less clothing

live.staticflickr.com

So far, I do not think there was any need for me to bring more than one jumpsuit or dress, or more than one pair of high heels with me, because I only ever wear T-shirts to class and I do not foresee that changing anytime soon. In summary, Just bring your favorite comfy tee shirts.

A lanyard

live.staticflickr.com

I hated lanyards in high school. I always put my keys in my bag, and my high school did not have student ID's, so I did not see the need in having one. However, now I feel like I have to dig in my backpack for my wallet and then dig in my wallet for my student ID card every other time I turn around.