Bring On The New Year

Bring On The New Year

Heading Towards 2017 With Confidence

8
Bring On The New Year
Anthony DELANOIX

As we wind down 2016 and prepare for 2017 to arrive, it's time to start thinking about your New Year's Resolutions, promises, goals, and wishes, whichever the case may be for you.

Of course, there is always the oh-so-wonderful weight loss goals, and for those of you who stick with it, I commend you. For those of you who fail, me too; it happens, we can be fluffy together. Then there are those who wish to get better organized, and I don't mean solely on Pinterest, because I have that down to a T. I am talking the full blown utilizing Pinterest or Google to find these organizational aspects to solve all your household and life situations.

Another aspect of the New Year are the traditions that come and go. Sometimes we go out and drink until we can't think, while other times we stay in with a hot bowl of tortilla soup and play Dominoes. What is important is developing these traditions around the ones that we love so that we can get that kiss at midnight!

So, where did New Year's Resolutions come in to play and what is the purpose of eating black eyed peas?

When it comes to your New Year's Resolutions, you can thank the Babylonians where, 4,000 years ago, they made promises to return borrowed objects and repay any debts that they may have accumulated in the following year. The Romans later followed with making promises to the god Janus (January), which in turn eventually became what we know as resolutions.

Pretty cool, huh? It's amazing at how many traditions that we have today have transpired throughout history and the variations that each culture celebrates!

Now, what about those black eyed peas? My humps, my humps, my lovely lady.....yeah, OK, not the black eyed peas I am talking about, but you can't tell me you weren't getting down with me!

I will admit, the tradition of eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day is new to me, however, it's not something I haven't heard throughout life. The origin of this does happen to come from the southern states, though. Did you know it is said that eating black eyed peas for the New Year will supposedly bring you prosperity in the New Year?

Whether we celebrate the traditions that have been handed down, or we create our own, I have found that it is very rewarding to build these traditions and stick with them each year. I kid you not, the older I get, the more I appreciate them and the more frustrated I get when the tradition is broken. So your partner has a tradition too? Great! Incorporate them both and give yourselves a better opportunity to get to know each other grow!

Those resolutions, though?

Don't sweat them! What will be will be!

Now I am not telling you to not promise yourself or to set goals because those are important; in fact, maybe you will be more likely to follow through. However, just remember if you don't accomplish your resolutions, you aren't the only one.

Happy New Year!