Why You Should Be Careful With New Years Resolutions

I am not one of the 8%.

7

Your 2016 resolution is very unlikely to succeed. According to Forbes magazine in 2013, only 8 percent of people actually achieve their New Year's resolutions. New Years always seems to sneak up on me every year. Therefore, I always feel pretty rushed to come up with a quick resolution before the clock ticks twelve and I turn into a pumpkin.

Another reason my resolutions are made so late in the year is because I think that New Years resolutions are stupid. I set goals for myself all year 'round, but when they’re set on New Years, they are usually more likely to fail. Sure, I get really excited about them for a month or two, but then the sparkle of the New Year starts to fade and I start caring less about that one goal life-changing goal that I made.

I am also guilty, as many others are, of making very vague goals. While this is has a lot to do with rushing to pick my resolutions as the deadline of the year approaches, there’s another key factor that comes into play. I think we put way too much pressure on New Years resolutions, to the extent that we convince ourselves we can do anything for an entire year, and become drastically different people. These include goals like, “study more,” “be healthy,” or “save money". On their own, those are some pretty loosely defined goals. What if we revised them, and focused on specific parts of those goals? Like “spend a minimum of 25 hours studying each week and budget out your tasks?” or “exercise at least 4 times a week,” or “map out a monthly budget.” Those are way more manageable goals, with well-defined parameters.

While I really disagree with having one day a year to set goals and the “there’s always next year” mentality, I think that if you choose to have a resolution, you should be smart about it. Figure out exactly what it is about yourself you want to work on (only one thing!) and make guidelines. Personally, I hate when people ask what my resolution is. Because if we’re going to put a stress on making each year better than the last one, I’m going to make a really major goal, and I might not feel comfortable telling you what it is, so don’t ask me. You don’t have to spill what your goals are in detail when people ask, but know for yourself how you plan to achieve your resolutions.

Forbes claims that the best way to achieve our goal is by having a well-defined and simple plan, and to be really aware of the goal. Ideas like having a vision board or charting your progress can be hugely important in this process as well. Research shows that if you can see the real progress you’ve made in front of you, you’re more likely to continue to work towards your goal for longer than just the first few months of the year.

Whether or not you choose to make a resolution this year, keep in mind that it’s totally possible to have one if you keep it realistic and make a plan. Happy New Years everyone, see you in 2016!