Brexit: What It Means for American Millennials
Politics

We have similar choices to make.

20
Vice

This is monumental, it's historical! We've been seeing the headlines and the coverage on the Brexit--the UK's "exit" from the European Union--for a few days, but what does it mean? Basically, when now-former-Prime Minister David Cameron faced pressure from within his political party, he promised this referendum that would give citizens the choice to stay in the European Union, or to leave it. He personally campaigned to encourage people to vote "Stay," but many conservatives wished to leave. In the end, it was a decision from 52% of voters to self-eject from the Union. So, why do we American Millennials need to care?

Brexit is leaving 18-24 year old millennials outraged, as a vast majority, 75% of them, claimed to have voted to remain in the European Union. Sadly, they were outnumbered by the older voters who participated in the referendum. By fierce contrast with millennials, 61% of people over the age of 65 voted to leave the Union.

The aftermath is unclear. The pound is collapsing, the Prime Minister resigned, and young people and progressives are protesting. As for the global economy, it seems a little unclear. Scotland wishes to remain. It's scary to consider what this could mean for the UK, for the European economy, and for society as a whole. #Bregret is a new trending topic as people discuss the possible dark consequences.

In just a few months this November, America will be heading to the polls to decide on our country's new leader, a decision between presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump. This election battle can be considered reflective of the political clash that ended in Brexit, a decision that will likely further the instability of our global economy, as much of it came from fear mongering rhetoric. As millennials, we will have to live with the consequences of such political battles for the longest amount of time out of anyone who is able to vote in these decisions.

If nothing else, Brexit should serve as an enormous example of why young votes matter. As a former "Bernie or Bust" believer--I was not going to vote in the general election if Bernie does not win the nomination--I now realize that there is too much at risk for our generation as well as those younger than us. Aside from young people like me, too many of us are uninformed. I can't tell you how many of my friends simply say they don't care about politics, but we are the ones who will be most directly affected in the long term. We are the youngest citizens with a powerful voice, and it's time to use them. Voicing our opinions on social media is one thing, but actively trying to be involved is where the positive changes come from. Show up to the polls. Stay informed. Care about politics and talk about them. Our voices matter, and they will carry.