Confirm Kavanuagh Already

This May Be An Unpopular Opinion, But It's Time To Confirm Brett Kavanaugh To The Supreme Court

All this fear mongering and partisan anger is getting tiresome.

1657

Over the last week or so, which seems like it has gone on for a month already, the U.S. Senate has been engaged in hearing after hearing regarding the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

This process, like most processes these days in Washington, has become extremely partisan and increasingly ugly to look at. Everyone pretty much has their opinion of Kavanaugh set, and I'm not going to try and change that.

I'm just here to explain why I think he should just be confirmed to the court and we can all go on with our lives.

First of all, let's address the recent accusation of sexual assault against him. I am a firm believer in the #MeToo movement, and I will always side initially with the accuser until new evidence comes out, but as I have sat here and seen the news begin to trickle in regarding this woman and accusation, I simply don't find it convincing.

She has also forgone the opportunity to testify before Congress about the accusation, calling it "unfair," which I can understand to an extent, but unless criminal charges are brought up against Kavanaugh and you go to actual court, that's as fair as it's gonna get. I hope she ends up being heard out, and I don't think confirmation should continue until she is, but as it stands I don't think this revelation has any potential to derail Kavanaugh's eventual confirmation.

Another prevalent accusation directed at Brett Kavanaugh is that he wants to repeal the landmark Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade and make give control of abortion rights back to the states, revoking federal protection for it, and essentially giving states the power to decide whether or not to make it illegal.

However, I find this claim to be absolutely ridiculous. During the Senate hearings, Kavanaugh was asked many times about his personal opinions regarding Roe v. Wade and abortion, but the thing is that his opinion on it shouldn't matter at all. Kavanaugh responded as much, stating that whenever deciding cases he would always look to legal precedent, his opinions on an issue having nothing to do with the ruling that he makes.

Honestly, this is how the Supreme Court is meant to work, so this mindset, in addition to his years of experience as a federal judge, makes Kavanaugh more than qualified to be on the court.

However, it is also what makes the Supreme Court lag behind public opinion.

Not only do lifetime appointments mean that judges appointed decades ago are deciding on current cases, but the Constitution itself is not specific, and reading the document literally (as the Supreme Court is meant to do) means that their rulings are going to be more conservative simply because the Constitution doesn't actually mention what is being discussed a lot of the time.

In the end, all of this talk about how Brett Kavanaugh is unqualified or will dismantle abortion rights is nothing more than Democratic fear mongering and anger at another conservative justice being placed on the Supreme Court.

However, if it does turn out that he is guilty of the sexual assault, then throw him into the eternal pit. Hell, I'd do it myself, but as of right now, I see nothing in the way of Brett Kavanaugh being confirmed to the Supreme Court of the United States.