"Breathe"

Breathe

Remove yourself from the strenuous circumstances of life. Take a deep breath and regroup.

137

Every day we are faced with a challenge. We stand fearful, positioned toward the vast ocean that is life, and are presented with the question of whether or not we will choose to sink or to swim. We step foot into that ocean as we feel the sand beneath our feet as the water glides over them. They say "curiosity killed the cat," but as this curiosity peaks inside of us, we cannot help but explore it. We stand alone in the face of danger, but the desire for adventure burns like a raging fire inside of our souls. We cannot help but imagine the future that lies ahead of us within these roaring waters, and our intuition gets the better of us. We move further into the water.

I am waist deep, yet I feel nothing. This ocean is calm and inviting, and I begin to wonder what lies beneath. I tempt fate, though I know in my heart that I should turn back.

Without warning I am pulled underwater, submerged beneath dark blue depths. I am one with the ocean, wafting in the endless rupture of currents surrounding me. They come from every direction, pulling me forward and ever so suddenly pushing me backward. The force of the waves overwhelm me, and I am unable to stay adrift. The regrets around my ankle are chained to an anchor that lies on the ocean's floor. I am not alone in the water, for I remain accompanied by the decisions I have made.

In my mind, I ponder whether or not this choice has become irreversible. I picture the shore that lies miles behind me. It is where I came from, it is who I am. It is who I will always be.

A break in the waves allows me to recover and force my head above the water. I circle the current as I glance back at the shoreline, the place I can call home. Massive waves are visible in the distance, and I know that it is time to sink or swim. I take a deep breath, and I choose to swim.

I battle the water as it fights to engulf me. My eyes are locked in the distance as I make my journey, turning my head to avoid the salt from burning my nose. I continue to breathe as I make my way closer to safety, leaving behind each downfall and deterrent of the past in every wave that I tread. I know that nothing in life comes easily, though I find that, within each of my endeavors, I had been preparing myself to swim.

I stumble onto the shore and I kiss the sand as the water relieves itself from my lungs. I completed the journey. I learned to let go of all that holds no meaning. The weight has been lifted, and I can breathe again.