14 Songs To Get You Through The Different Stages Of Your Breakup

Because you don't need a significant other, but EVERYONE needs good music.

636

If you have found yourself reading this article, you are probably going through a breakup. Whether it's the bittersweet sting of a great love lost, or you outright loathe this person (if they are indeed a person, because they are so truly terrible that them being a robot is a very real possibility), I get it. You feel so much, all at once, and you just want it all to go away.

Sadly, that type of resolution only comes with distance and time. Right now, all you can really do is feel it until you don't. I can already feel your eye rolls, and I know; that hard reality isn't exactly comforting when you feel like you haven't slept in twelve years and your heart is going to fall out of your butt.

But you know what is comforting? A good playlist. So break out the Kleenex, grab your favorite comfort food, and set all those feelings to music. The following are music recommendations sorted by the inevitable stages of your breakup;

The Weeping Stage

Because crying it out right now is a wholly appropriate and healthy response.

1. "Even If It's A Lie," by Matt Maltese

"...and I know you don't love me..."
This song is all about processing the mistakes made that led up to a relationship biting the dust. In the chorus, he begs for this girl to say "I love you" one more time, even if she doesn't mean it. This song is a tearjerker even on the best of days. Go ahead. Let it all out.

2. "A Love Song/A Non Love Song," by Dodie Clark and Jon Cozart

"...we tried to survive, on a lie we could not endure..."
A melody and counter-melody sung from the two different perspectives of a breakup. It is exactly as upsetting as it sounds.

3. "All The Pretty Girls," by Kaleo

"Life is anything but fair."
The lyrics are not particularly attuned to the split of a couple, and yet, this is somehow the perfect soundtrack for your night in with a five dollar bottle of wine and "The Notebook." It's an odd and beautiful gift from the universe. Just accept it.

The Denial Stage

Ah, denial. Everyone's favorite state.

4. "Do You Miss Me At All?" by Bridgit Mendler

"Do you wonder what I'm up to without you?"
You probably don't believe that this former Disney girl could produce such a bop, but trust me, it's a bop...and the perfect one for when you still think your ex might come back. Just put this song on repeat and dance that idea right out of your system.

5. "Don't I Hold You?" by Wheat

"Don't I love you like you want to be loved?"
Asking all of the questions you have to your ex is never a wise idea. So just get them all out singing along with this track.
BONUS: This song is in the movie "Elizabethtown," which is, in my opinion, one of the most phenomenally soundtracked movies of all time. If you want more great tunes for grappling with pain upon reaching the end of this list, just hop on over to that album. You can thank me later.

6. "On Hold," by The XX

"...I always saw you coming back to me..."
This one deals with the post-shock shock of realizing that it is, indeed, over for good. Especially if you have been in any kind of toxic or on-again-off-again situation, this one is saturated with that brand of "but is it really over?" denial. Put on some headphones with this one and process. It's okay. Take your time.

The Angry Stage

Because unless you are a perfect cinnamon roll angel baby, that sadness will probably harden into anger at some point.

7. "Games," by Demi Lovato

"No, I ain't your little toy."
Once the fantasy passes of your ex running back into your arms, a new one will take over; that of you telling them off to their face about all the mess they've put you through. That isn't exactly an advisable action IRL, so just go ahead and live that dream in this godsend from our lady and savior Demi Lovato.

8. "Favorite Liar," by The Wrecks

"I wanna show you what it's like."
This banger is so upbeat and fun to listen to that you'll barely notice the lead singer dragging his ex in the lyrics. Go ahead and headbang. We aren't judging.

9. "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing," by Set It Off (feat. William Beckett)

"If I could kill you, I would, but it's frowned upon in all fifty states..."
Save this one for when you're angry. I mean, really angry. It's the most aggressive track on this list by a measure of like twelve thousand. (I'm not saying that anger is a healthy thing to harbor; exactly the opposite. You need to release it in healthy ways when it visits, such as yell-singing lyrics, rather than indulging in hurtful things, like melodramatic shitposting.) Even if pop-punk isn't your jam, you've got to admit, this one is cathartic.

The Epiphany Stage

Something's gotta give.

10. "Last Hope," by Paramore

"Gotta let it happen."
This song is the calm after the storm. Lyrics acknowledging optimism after hard times set against a melodic beat and driving baseline make for the ideal theme song for your realization; Heartbreak is a reality. But hope is too.

11. "I Haven't Been Taking Care of Myself," by Alex Lahey

"I need to start taking care of myself."
Yeah, remember that comfort food and cheap alcohol I suggested at the beginning of this article? It's been three months honey.
Put. It. Down.

12. "I Wanna Get Better," by Bleachers

"...I've trained myself to give up on the past..."
The greatest freedom you will ever give yourself is in deciding that happiness is worth pursuing. You've been in this rut long enough. You know it, too. Put on a happy song, smile, and do something nice for yourself. You deserve it.

The Returning Stage

A point will come when you've worn out all the bad feelings. It doesn't matter if it's an hour from now or a year from now. Regardless of how long it took to find yourself again after this nonsense: Welcome back.

13. "Paper Thin Hotel," by Matt Maltese

"I learned that love is out of my control."
I'm sorry for artist repeating, but dude, Matt Maltese does breakup songs like no other. Originally written by Leonard Cohen (of "Hallelujah" fame), this one is for your ex. They'll always have a place in your heart, just as you'll always have a place in theirs. When you cannot forget, forgive, and move forward. Take this moment to wish them the best, cry out any residual feels, and embrace this melancholy, optimistic, complex moment. Breathe in, breathe out. Then proceed.

14. "That Green Gentleman," by Panic! At The Disco

"Things have changed for me, and that's okay."
Now I know what you're saying: "only two songs in this section?" But if that last one was for your ex, then this one's for you. This upbeat track embraces the inevitable cyclical changes of life, just as you have learned how to do. Smile, sweetie. You made it.

Heartache is not easy. But it is also not rare. It's not a death sentence, just a growing pain. You aren't alone. You'll get through. And hopefully, with some help from this list, you'll dance and sing a bit as you do it. Don't fret; it will get better. <3