20 Breakup Songs For Anyone And Everyone

"How strange it is, that after all that we are strangers again." (Lang Leav)

4311

Breakups suck. It's as simple as that.

Your best friend turns into a stranger. Your heart crumbles. Hope is lost as you fear the unknown. Trust is lost as you no longer trust words. Love is lost as your heart can no longer find a space to open up and be vulnerable.

I've had three breakups in my lifetime (the third one is comprised of two halves: one breakup lasted a day and the other one was with someone who I was never actually together with) and they have taught me so much about myself, others, and our surrounding world.

Even if two and a half of the three were with the same person, I feel like I've matured so much as an individual: I can now empathize with so many around the world.

One thing that I've learned from my breakups is that I love music. I am a dancer, so music is a large component of my art; however, I never appreciated listening to music while on a walk, doing work, or relaxing, until I needed melodies to keep me up and going throughout the day.

This past week, I've been thinking about breakup songs; specifically, songs I found myself listening to when I was going through that time in my life, and as they came to mind I jotted them down. Here is the list:

1. The Chainsmokers' "Break Up Every Night"

The beat of this song will get you moving, jumping, and laughing instantly. Lose yourself as you jump around your room and shake it all off. Additionally, if you relate to the song, listen to the lyrics and realize that you deserve more than just waiting for your (ex)partner to "finally decide to feel it."

2. Aly & AJ's "Potential Breakup Song"

Classic...this is just a classic.

3. Passenger's "Let Her Go"

This is one of my favorite songs; unfortunately, it's quite common to realize the true passion you feel for another.

4. Avril Lavigne's "What the Hell"

I mean is there really anything else needed to be said?! You deserve more than just to "sit around and wait all day."

5. Big Sean's "I Don't F*** With You."

Although I believe respect should always be everyone's main priority,

6. Ashley Tisdale's "It's Alright, It's OK."

"Make out like we were nothing and it never happened."

These lyrics punch me right in the stomach. One of the aspects of a breakup that hurts me the most is how quick the person that you went through so much with transforms into an aloof stranger.

7. Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know"

These lyrics punch me right in the stomach. One of the aspects of a breakup that hurts me the most is how quick your person that you went through so much with transforms into an aloof stranger.

8. Oasis's "Don't Look Back in Anger"

Don't fester in anger, pain, and negativity--the consequences aren't worth it. Even though I can think about all the bad things in my past, I'd rather remember the good--the happy memories, the laughs, and the times that were filled with smiles.

9. Rascal Flatt's' "What Hurts the Most"

This song will bring me to tears as it elbow-punches me right in my strongest muscle: my heart. I don't trust many. I have very few close friends. The fact that someone can be your number one to nothing terrifies me.

10. Little Mix's "Shout Out to My Ex"

`

This song was one of the songs that truly got me smiling again.

11. Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"

You grow, mature, and learn from everything that you go through. Become stronger and allow a variety of occurrences to shape you as an individual.

12. A Great Big World's "Say Something"

It's a sad song, but from time to time this is what you need and want to hear.

13. Three Days Grace's "I Hate Everything About You"

Rock on and let loose. It's okay to feel anger, hatred, confusion, pain, and a billion other emotions.

14. Fall Out Boy's "Thnks Fr th Mmrs"

Did you know that the vowels are missing in the title to represent a shallow, casual relationship? Fall Out Boy desired a "text message" look.

15. Elton John's "I'm Still Standing"

And you will continue to stand!

16. The Kills's "Last Goodbye"

Again, sometimes love between two just "don't ever match up."

17. Jewel's "Foolish Games"

If the relationship was giving you more pain than happiness then this new step is going to be so refreshing for you. This is how I felt, and today I find myself smiling so much more than compared to when I was in a poisonous relationship.

18. Timbaland's "Apologize"

Let your heart heal. Take a break from some people. Allow yourself to recuperate.

19. Frans' "Liar"

To me, honesty is the most important factor in a relationship. Without truth, everything isn't reality.

20. James Bay's "Let It Go"

"Just let it be, why don't you be you, and I'll be me."

You'll survive, take it day by day and realize that something amazing is around the corner.