Why The Breakup Haircut Is The Ultimate Female Power Move

Why The Breakup Haircut Is Actually The Ultimate Female Power Move

Just gotta chop that extra weight.

793

It's been a long-standing tradition that ladies change their hair after cutting men out of their lives. It's like we break up with a man and it's not enough of a change, so we go for the hair. Although it might seem drastic, hasty, or even silly to men that we go for the hair as a first step to changing our lives, it's really a power move.

It's a statement that screams, "I'm back in control" and it's something I hope never changes.

Changing up our hair after a breakup puts us back in the driver's seat. It shows we're back in control and aren't letting the men dictate any part of our lives any longer. We get to decide who we are, how we live, how we want to look, and who we want to be moving forward. This is why changing our hair is the first step. It's us taking control of how we want to look and be portrayed. It's us saying we are in control of ourselves and no breakup or relationship is going to take that away.

A hairstyle is a statement. It is our identity and it can change with our moods. This is the reason we chop it off, change the color, or throw in some extensions after breaking up with someone. It's the easiest way to say something without having to say anything. It marks a period in our lives and who we want to be at that moment. It's the best way to show the world that we're ready for a change and the breakup was just the beginning.

Sure, sometimes we look back at those haircuts and think "what were we thinking" and yes, we often do that with the relationships of our past as well. It's easy to regret bangs or a bob, but you know the greatest thing about those haircuts? The hair will grow back and we can always change it again. It's a metaphor for our lives.

Take the risk, buzz part of your head. If it's doesn't work out, it can always be grown back out or changed.

After a breakup, we want to lose any memory of that person who is no longer in our lives. We want to cut the extra weight they put on us, and with that comes a good chop of the hair. It's like you can finally breathe again and be free, and we emphasize that by making our hair feel the same way. We want to get rid of the things that weigh us down — whether that be a man or a few inches of hair. It's a relief and it's an amazing feeling when you build up the courage to do it.

Cutting our hair after a breakup is a power move. It makes us feel free, like we're in control, like we're ready for the next chapter and whatever that chapter may bring. As Coco Chanel said, "a woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life," and that's the beauty of it.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.