500 Words On Breaking Up After Dating Your Best Friend

You can't go crying to the person you're crying about.

1766
fitsharp.com

I, like millions of girls around the globe, made the foolish mistake of dating my best friend. It starts off pretty great and totally unexpected. You started off thinking you two were different than most friends and that it'll totally work out. You go with your gut and it feels right, but you gradually start to realize your lifestyles and views don't match up as well as you thought they did, and inevitably the breakup happens.

Like many breakups, it hurts like a knife to the chest. However, dating your best friend makes the breakup ten times harder. The person you always ran to after having a bad day or after hearing exciting news is now the person that you're crying about. You're constantly thinking about them, wondering if they even miss you at all and you're always wanting to text them.

They tell you that they'll always be there for you and you can text them whenever you're feeling down, but in reality, you can't. You can't call or text them to keep you company or to cry to when they're the one you're crying about.

The first few days after a breakup are always the worst. You cry every ten minutes, you eat once a day and even that small meal is a struggle. If you're like me, you find yourself puking, a lot, because you're so sick to your stomach. You can't sleep at night and any time you're alone you feel like your heart is going to burst out of your chest.

Going to class is a constant struggle, because it's hard to stay composed for more than 40 minutes at a time. You find yourself rushing to the bathroom to go cry and wipe your eyes before returning to class again.

The hardest part of breaking up with your best friend, though, is that both of you most likely want to stay friends and the only way that'll work is with a lot of time. If you're anything like me, your patience is that of a three year old and it's killing you inside. You desperately want to get to that point where you're over them and can keep things simply as friends, but then you're thinking about the future so much that you fail to stop and focus on fixing the present.

They were your best friend, and knew you better than anyone, so naturally you'll want to turn to them. And you can, but only after enough time has passed for both of you to break any leftover feelings and forgive each other's wrongdoings.

I wish I could say I'm at that point already, but I'm not. I want so badly for that friendship to be back and I wish I knew how long it will take but I don't. So all you can do is cry, forgive, and hope for the best, because only time heals.