It's OK If You Didn't Rush, But You Don't Get To Blame False Sorority Stereotypes

Go into it with an open mind, and you'll be amazed what you can get out of the Greek experience.

1635
Tayah Swedlund

For many college students across the country, Greek rush season is at its height. Whether it be for a sorority, fraternity, professional or multicultural frat, there are so many different offerings of Greek communities that there is something out there for everyone.

I recently came across an article of one writer's reasoning behind not rushing a sorority — I looked at it to hear someone's legitimate beliefs or thoughts about Greek recruitment, but I instead found an article essentially bashing and stereotyping women in the Greek community, grouping all of us into one demeaning box that seemed based more on movies or TV show representations rather than actual sorority women.

Now, I'm sure there are a select few organizations that may be vain or more closely resemble movie settings, but the vast majority of sororities that I've interacted with are the exact opposite. On my campus, the Panhellenic community is full of women who care about their sisters, their academics, their community and are so much than what the stereotypes proclaim.

I have sorority sisters who are future doctors, future politicians, future businesswomen, and so many other amazing professions that this university and organization is just a starting point.

Don't believe that sorority girls are ditzy blondes with fake majors just coasting through college on their daddy's dime. Most of the women in my organization work to pay their own dues (sometimes multiple jobs to support their position in the sorority as well as other college expenses).

They also have intense majors that require constant studying and grad or med school considerations and are using the Greek platform to expand their network and add on to collegiate extracurriculars. Personally, I've maintained a 4.0 and 18 credits while actively participating and holding a position for my sorority.

Sororities aren't just about the parties or "fraternizing" with the fraternities, but about building relationships that can lead to strong, deeply rooted friendships or future job opportunities or philanthropic efforts that better people far beyond ourselves. Greek organizations don't support respective charities just because they have to, but because many of them specifically joined that organization because the charity they support they're extremely passionate about.

If you're on the fence about rushing or feel judged by friends or family about your decision to rush, ask if their feelings are rooted in stereotypes or misconceptions. If you have questions, don't be afraid to reach out to the President or various Vice Presidents of the sorority or Panhellenic community that you're interested in. You want to go into the experience with a full understanding of everything you're about to partake in, and you want to make sure that the decision is right for you.

My most important note is that most of the Greek women I know are breaking the typical stereotypes of who and what a sorority woman is. If you have any interest in going Greek, reach out, ask questions, and most importantly, do what makes you happy. Go into it with an open mind, and you'll be amazed what you can get out of the Greek experience.