Breaking Benjamin And Disturbed Made For A Great First Concert

The concert that made me realize what I've been missing for all of my life.

26
Lazer 993

In almost 20 years of life, I had never been to a concert. You're probably be shocked at that statement, but this is a common reaction.

I love music. It is a huge part of my life and it would be different without it. I listen to it daily in so many different places, whether it comes from the radio, Spotify, or the music library of my phone. But for unknown reasons, I had never witnessed live music from well known artists until Saturday, July 23, 2016, when I went to my first concert to see two of my favorite bands, Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed with opening performances by Saint Asonia and Alter Bridge.

Going into this concert at the Xfinity Center, I had no idea what to think. I have a few friends who absolutely love live performances and live for them. They go on and on about how there is nothing like your favorite musical artists playing right in front of you, as well the so called post concert depression, but I could never understand what they were talking about until I got to experience it for myself.

I especially didn't know how to feel as I took my seat. The opening bands were Saint Asonia and Alter Bridge, neither of whom I really knew nor was excited for. Although both of the bands were excellent, I noticed that the crowd was not very loud and almost everyone was seated. As an inexperience concert attendee, I was not aware that opening bands were not supposed to have the crowd jumping up and down and they are really just meant to garner attention in order to get their push in the musical world. The show was only going to get better -- I just didn't know it yet.

Breaking Benjamin was the third band to take the stage, and this was when the crowd was really fired up. Everyone in the Xfinity Center was on their feet and screaming. Not only did the band perform songs from both earlier years and their newest album ("Dark Before Dawn"), but they also performed a mash up of covers, which included songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and "Schism" by Tool. I would also like to point out how impressive it is that Breaking Benjamin has had almost a completely different line up of band members since 2014, with Benjamin Burnley being the only member to remain with the band since its formation.

Following the amazing Breaking Benjamin was the final band of the night, Disturbed. Let me tell you, they absolutely stole the show. Following their four year hiatus that just ended last year, they have come back and are as amazing as they ever have been. Lead singer David Draiman had the crowd rocking and rolling with their fists in the air for a majority of their time on the stage. While Disturbed performed some long time favorites such as "Down with the Sickness," "Stupify," and "Stricken," their most notable songs were those from their newest album, "Immortalized." They performed their newest single, "Open Your Eyes," live for the first time right here in Mansfield, MA, which was so cool. They also put some of the crowd into tears with their powerful playing of "The Sound of Silence."

The concert was not only incredible because of the music. In regards to the recent world events involving police brutality and the "lives matter" concept, Draiman delivered a powerful message to the crowd. He reminded them that police officers are there to protect us every single day. He also said that if the people of world showed more love, care, and understanding for each other, some of these events may not be occurring. Draiman could not have said these words any better, and he has all of my respect.

As I was heading home that night, I couldn't help but realize that I have been missing out on so many great music concerts throughout my life. Seeing my favorite bands perform before my very eyes has inspired me to not let this be my only concert in my life; I now want to see many other bands play live, and I am on a mission to make it happen. I have begun to understand what post concert depression really feels like, as I was jamming out to nothing to Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed on Spotify the next day.

July 23, 2016 is a day that I will not ever forget.