Yes, Bralettes Are Always Better Than Bras, Because Comfort Matters

Underwire is going out of style, for more reasons than one.
195

One thing has always stood in the way of ultimate comfort for people who have boobs: the bra.

Bras have been around since the beginning of time, starting out as a simple cover for breasts, but have evolved into a beauty standard that females are expected to conform to. Well, I'm here to tell you today that the bra is done, out, goodbye. The bralette is IN. There are several reasons why you should switch from bras to bralettes, no matter your size.

First, let's talk styling bralettes and pricing them.

You can layer bralettes under any top you want, and they even look good with my sundresses that I had this summer. It's very in style right now to have that lace pop out to give your outfit more visual diversity. They can be worn just like bras, and come in different colors, styles, and level of intricacy. Bralettes are the gift that never stops giving.

Bralettes are also less expensive than traditional bras.

Take the ones I purchased at Victoria's Secret and Francesca's. The bralettes are Victoria's Secret usually run from $20-30 depending. The bra's, however, run from $30-65 for just one! The Francesca's bralettes are $18. And bralettes LAST. If you follow the washing instructions, the lace won't pull, and it will be just as good as it was when you bought it.

On college campuses today, comfort is king.

There are people that still dress nice and wear a full face of makeup every day, but I am not one of those people. My usual outfit to class consists of a cute t shirt, a bralette, leggings, and my Nike tennis shoes. But when I do like to dress nice, I hate having to put on a real bra. It's uncomfortable, expensive, and when the underwire starts to poke you in the chest you feel like you want to explode. Also, when I take naps in the middle of the day, I don't want to wake up with a huge imprint of my bra in my chest or go through the trouble of taking it off before I nap. What's the solution? Bralettes. See what I'm doing here? The possibilities are endless.

Now, I am someone who is smaller chested. (Literally, I'm a 32A and have been since high school...) For my friends with bigger chests, I would recommend Torrid, Target, Forever 21 plus, and Soma. I have heard mixed reviews about the VS and Aerie bralettes with bigger chests. But the point is, bralettes are for everyone, no matter your size.

A question that seems to pop up often is, aren't sports bras essentially the same?

No.

Sports bras, while comfortable, can be conforming to the body as well. They usually provide some kind of padding or support, whereas bralettes typically do not. And the obvious answer, sports bras are made for working out, bralettes are made for everyday wear. Sports bras' usual material is athletic, sweat resistant, and not the softest item of clothing to wear. Bralettes on the other hand typically have no support, and they are made to be more delicate and add a layering effect to your outfit.

So there we have it, why bralettes are always going to be better than bras.

If you haven't gotten on the bralette train yet, go buy yourself a nice lacy (or non lacy) bralette and see what all the hype is about, you're probably going to want to throw out all of your bras afterwards.