Boys Will Always Make For Better Friends

Opposite gender friendships are some of the strongest, and longest relationships.

18
Meghan Horrell

For some odd reason, there seems to be an assumption that girls and guys cannot be "just friends"; the assumption that the opposite gender cannot be friend with one another without an emotional or physical connection is just plain wrong. As a girl, I can proudly say that I have always found myself gravitating towards guys for friends rather than girls, and no I never ended up dating or "liking" any of them. From a young age, my mom had always told me that "boys will always make for better friends", and that girls will only bring petty drama. Personally, I have experienced that boys are in fact better friends than girls (well most of the time), however, I am very fortunate enough to have very few girl friends who will last forever.

Looking back upon the now seemingly distant high school years I had seemed to constantly be bouncing from girl friends to a new girl best friend. I am very thankful to have two of the best girl friends in the world, but they also agree that guys tend to be more loyal friends. I personally believe that guys make better friends because there is no hidden agenda behind the friendship and that there is no push to compete with the opposite gender (in friendship). Boys have also, always been more than protective over my feelings, thoughts, and they always seemed to have given me a different (male) perspective on whatever situation I had been complaining about at one time. As a girl who has a multitude of male friends I can also say that having boys come to you to talk about their thoughts, and feelings are extremely satisfying for some lucky girl will get to date my best friend(s) one day.

Along with the unconditional loyalty, and protection that my male friends have provided me they also have been a part of some of my best memories. Having a great time with girls is one thing, but when you are able to have a laid back conversation or moment with one of your guy best friends you truly understand that its 100 percent OK to have friends of the opposite sex. I would also like to state here that if you are a person who thinks that males and females cannot be friends without anything more I would urge you to neglect that state of mind and find yourself a BFF of the opposite gender.