Sober Couple Isn't A Killjoy

My Boyfriend and i are sober, but that doesn't make us killjoys

So please, don't judge us for not drinking and we won't judge you for drinking.

14
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/holding-hands
Unsplash

Truth: I don't like drinking.

Truth: I don't drink and neither does my boyfriend.

Truth: I have no problems with others drinking.

Lie: My boyfriend and I are killjoys for not drinking.

Honestly, I don't know where the myth of being sober equals being boring came from but It's annoying. I've written about why I don't drink before and I won't go into it here but if you're curious like me just follow the link.

My reasons for not drinking don't affect my view of others drinking but other drinking affects their view of my not drinking. Confusing, right?

People always judge us for not getting really drunk or try to pressure us into drinking.

When we refuse or politely say no, people get more aggressive in their pressure.

They begin to call us "killjoys" or tell us to "live a little."

My boyfriend has his own reasons for not drinking but being male there are a lot more societal pressures on him to drink. Drinking and men somehow have been mistaken to correlate to masculinity.

We live a sober life together and we are happy that way. We don't need to drink to be fun.

I'm fun and a little crazy without alcohol. So I don't need it to have a good time. You wouldn't want me to drink because I am sure I'd be more annoying than usual.

When my boyfriend and I go out, people ask us why we aren't drinking all the time.

We smile at each other, knowing each other's personal reasons for not doing so, and we just shrug. We don't care what others think because we are comfortable and happy with our decisions not to drink.

We don't judge those who do drink.

We don't have a "lesser" life for not drinking.

I don't need to be drunk "just once" for life experience. My boyfriend has been drunk before and he says he never wants to be again.

We are happy as a sober couple.

Truth: We'd rather drink soda, or in my case tea than alcohol.

Truth: We are fun to be around, even if we are a sober couple.

Truth: We are happier being a sober couple.