5 Thrilling Books To Read Over Winter Break That Aren't Your College Textbook

Because we all know as soon as we're told to read something, we don't want to.

84

I'm all for cozying up under a blanket on a cloudy day and binge-watching your favorite shows, but to me, sometimes there's nothing quite like reading a really good book. It lets your imagination run wild instead of showing everything to you right there on screen, and I always feel pretty accomplished once I've finished reading it. Here's a list of some of my favorite books I've read, and you can read too!

The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz

This isn't your typical book about a murder mystery; instead, an author and cop come head to head in the re-telling of this thrilling story full of unexpected turns. If you need a reason to stay up until 3 a.m. again, here you go.

Happiness for Humans by P. Z. Reizen

Want a reason to become spooked by just how powerful and amazing technology can be? In this book, two Artificial Intelligence robots fight for love, except one wants a couple's love to blossom, and the other wants to destroy it, and it's written from their respective points of view.

Chaos by Patricia Cornwell

Medical examiner Dr. Scarpetta stumbles upon two girls.... who've stumbled across a body. Tracking the supposed killer is impossible for her as well as her team of investigators, and the media gets a hold of the case and starts questioning her judgment on a case where the cause of the death seems less like a freak accident with each passing moment.

Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson 

While the name James Patterson seems synonymous to murder mysteries and the like, this book is quite different. A woman is drawn back to the town where she grew up, and finds a group of letters in the house where she spent most of her time. I can't quite tell you much more than that, but trust me, you won't be able to put this book down.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Taking place in Nazi Germany, this book follows the emotional and tumultuous journey of a young girl whose younger brother passes away and it taken in by a foster family, who teaches her to read and write. Because she realizes how powerful reading and writing can be, she steals books during a time when books were being burned. This book is really emotionally powerful and you won't be able to put it down.

So, what are you waiting for? Get the blankets, hot chocolate, and crack open a book!