15 Books You Must Read Before The Movies Come Out

We all love to see the stories that we imagined in our heads played out in the big screen, or we love to hate all the differences from pages to production.

261
Galore Mag

This list is for the fans who love movies based on books they once enjoyed. if you're like me, the let's-judge-this-movie-as-if-it wasn't-a-book-and-see-if-it's-good-type (cause let's face it, the movie won't make the original disappear so you can enjoy them as separate things but whatever to each their own). Here's a list of books that we'll become live action movies soon (2017-2018). Obviously, if you’re a-movie-can-never-be-better-than-the-books-so-why-not-nit-pick-every-difference kind of fan, then this list might grind your gears, but bear with me.

1. “The Dark Tower” by Stephen King

• Book Plot: Through the series of eight books, this story tells the tale of the last “gunslinger” Roland Deschain and the mysterious “Dark Tower”. As a mix of Western and Sci-fi, along with dark themes, the story creates a new world of magic and realism while tying it to the Land of King Arthur. Read as the mystery unravels to see who will unlock the power of the tower. (Yes, I just rhymed there) as well as find out if Roland will defeat the “man in black”. The story also includes parallel universes and horror portions (which is given for Stephen King Novels) to add to the tension of Deschain’s journey.
  • Movie Release Date: August 4, 2017 starring Idris Elba (known for his role in “The Wire”, “Luther”, “Thor”, “Pacific Rim”, “Prometheus” etc.) and Matthew McConaughey (“Dazed and Confused”, “Bernie”, “Magic Mike”, and more including many romantic comedies.)
  • Note: The movie will be a continuation of the books rather than an adaption so it would be wise to the read the series before hand, as it combines many elements from the whole series and could spoil it for you and or make you confused.

2. "The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls (A Memoir)

• Book Plot: This book tells the true story of Jeannette Walls’ unusual childhood due to poverty and at the hand of her parents, especially her alcoholic Father, Rex. The story is in the author’s point of view and stems from her unconventional adolescence until her adulthood. This is the heartbreaking journey of a family trying to survive.
  • Movie Release Date: August 11, 2017, starring Brie Larson (known for " Room", "The Spectacular Now", "Kong: Skull Island, etc.) to play the lead and author Jeannette Walls. The Film also stars Woody Harrelson (“ Cheers”, “Hunger Games”, “Zombieland”, True Detective” etc.), Naomi Watts (notable roles include “The Ring”, “The Divergent Series”, and 2005’s “King Kong”) and New Girl’s own TV actor Max Greenfield.
  • Note: Jennifer Lawrence was originally signed on for the project in 2013 but had to withdraw for unknown reasons (rumored to have a busy schedule) and Brie Larson replaced her.

3. “It” by Stephen King

• Book Plot: It's a good year for Stephen King, another book of his hits the big screen. In this horror coming of age novel, seven friends (who ban together because of their trauma) will fight the terrifying It, a being powerful and horrifying mystical being that sometimes shifts into Pennywise The Dancing Clown. The book tells two paralleling stories, one in 1958 (when the gang were kids) and another in 1985 (when they reunited). It is the classic staple of horror novels, tells how the power of fear and evil can be hidden in even the smallest of towns.
  • Movie Release Date: September 8, 2017, starring Bill Skarsgåd (notable roles include “Hemlock Grove”, “Allegiant”, and “Atomic Blonde”), Jaeden Lieberher (known for “The Confirmation” and “The Book of Henry”), and Stranger Thing’s Finn Wolfhard.
  • Note: This movie is being planned as a first in the duology, the second most likely taking place when the kids become adults and are faced with It again.

4. “The Mountain Between Us” by Charles Martin

• Book Plot: This story is a romantic survival novel, centering on Dr. Ben and writer Ashley Knox attempting to get to their respective places. However, they’re thrown off when they crash into the High Uintas Wilderness and must remain alive while trying to find help. This story is not only an adventure but has real emotion and stakes.
  • Movie Release Date: October 6, 2017, starring Idris Elba (I already listed his most notable works in number one) and Kate Winslet (known in “ Titanic”, “Sense and Sensibility”, “The Holiday”, “Flushed Away”, “The Dressmaker” etc.)
  • Another Note: In the film, Winslet’s name was changed from Ashley Knox to Alex Martin and Elba’s name changed from Payne to Bass.

5. "Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie

• Book Plot: Another amazing mystery from Agatha Christie, this novel focuses on Hercule Poirot, a private detective, on board the Orient express. Once someone on the train is murdered, it is up to the detective to solve the case and find the killer who is most likely still on board the train. This novel is not only thrilling, riveting, and spine-tingling, but is very calculating and a page-turner.
  • Movie Release Date: November 10, 2017, starring a lot of hit names such as Kenneth Branagh (starred in many movie adaptions of Shakespeare’s plays and a number of films including “Thor” and “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit”), Penelope Cruz (most notable role was in “Volver”), Willem Dafoe (worldly known from the Spiderman Trilogy and “Shadow of the Vampire”), Johnny Depp (known for “Edward Scissorhands”, “Pirates of the Caribbean”, “Charlie and the Chocolate Hands”, “Alice in Wonderland” and so on), Leslie Odom Jr. (he made several appearances in television but is know for his role in the musical “Hamilton”, Michelle Pfeiffer (“Hairspray”, “Grease 2”, “Batman Returns”) and more.
  • Note: This movie is the fourth adaption of Agatha Christie’s master piece, but it has said to have the potential for sequels in the franchise.

6. “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio

• Book Plot: This book is a beautiful children story that tells a powerful message about beauty coming from within. The story tells the tale of Auggie, who attends a new private school, entitled Beecher Prep, and must face bullies and hardships due to his facial deformity. This story immortalizes the classic notion that real beauty comes from the inside.
  • Movie Release Date: November 17, 2017, starring Jacob Tremblay (notable works include “ Room”, “The Book of Henry”, and “Shut in”), Julia Roberts (known for her roles in “ Pretty Woman”, “Ocean’s Eleven”, “Eat, Prey, Love” etc.), Owen Wilson (known for many comedy roles usually alongside Ben Stiller as well as voicing Car’s Lightening McQueen), along with Criminal Minds and Princess Bride’s Mandy Patinkin.
  • Note: The movie is based on this book, the companion book “Auggie and Me” (the telling of the events from “Wonder” via different perspectives) and “365 Days of Wonder” (the precepts collected by the teacher Mr. Browne)

7. “The Disaster Artist” by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell

• Book Plot: Most know the cult film, “The Room” as the worst movie ever made. Despite this, the movie has gained a cult following. This book was written by one of the actors of the film, Greg Sestero or “Mark”. This non-fiction novel depicts the struggle throughout the production and his relationship with the odd but mysterious Tommy Wiseau. This book is a great behind the scenes look into one of the most horrible movies to exist.
  • Movie Release Date: December 8, 2018, starring James Franco (known for his roles in “ Freaks and Geeks”, “Planet of the Apes”, “Oz the Great and Powerful”, “This is the End ” and so on), Dave Franco (notable roles include “21 Jump Street”, “Now You See Me”, “Neighbors” and “Nerve”), Zac Efron (“ High School Musical”, “Hairspray”, “17 Again”, need I say more? It’s Zac Efron!), Seth Rogen (“Superbad”, “The Green Hornet”, “This is the End”, “The Interview ”), Josh Hutcherson (notable works include “RV”, “The Hunger Games”, “Journey to the Center of the Earth”, and “Bride to Terabithia ”) and more.
  • Note: The movie has already premiered at the festival, South by Southwest, on March 12, 2017, and received a standing ovation.

8. “The Death Cure” by James Dashner

• Book Plot: The third and final book in the dystopian Maze Runner trilogy (excluding prequels), Thomas and the other Gladers will fight to survive against the organization WICKED. This book captivates a satisfying end to the adventure of Thomas and the fate of the dystopian world
  • Movie Release Date: January 12, 2018, starring Teen Wolf’s Dylan O’Brien, Kaya Scodelario (best known for her breakout role in “SKINS”), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (also seen on “Games of Thrones”, “Love Actually”, “Nowhere Boy”, and “Phineas and Ferb”) and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’s Ki Hong Lee.
  • Note: The film was delayed twice, once to let the lead Dylan O’Brien recover after an on-set accident, and another for more post production time.

9. "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter

• Book Plot: Despite being a story for children, Peter Rabbit is a must read classic tale. And I know that Hollywood is trying to gain our money via nostalgia, but if life provides you with a reason tore-read (or discover) the sweetness that is Peter Rabbit, then you take it. The stories basically tell mini-adventures of the anthropomorphic clothes wearingPeter Rabbit and the mischief that he gets into. Whether you’re reading it to someone or reading by yourself, never be ashamed to return to this childhood classic.
  • Movie Release Date: February 9, 2018, with voice roles assigned to The Late Late Show’s James Corden,Margot Robbie (known for roles in “ Suicide Squad” and “The Wolf of Wall Street”),and live action roles for Domhnall Gleeson (known for his roles in "The Lieutenant of Inishmore”, “Unbroken”, “The Revenant” “Brooklyn” etc.), Rose Byrne(notable roles include “Damages”, “Troy”,X-men: First Class”, “Neighbors” etc.), and TheForce Awaken’s Daisy Ridley.
  • Note: The movie will be a 3D live action mixed with CGI animation so if you’re a believer that live action and CGI character movies belong in different universes, this may not be the movie for you
  • 10. “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle

• Book Plot: The first in the “Time Quintet” series, the story revolves around Meg Murry, her brother Charles and their mother. When they find a mysterious stranger that tells them all about “wrinkles in time”, they must go on an adventure with him. Their quest has two missions, first to stop evil throughout their journey, and second to go and find their father, who disappeared experimenting with time travel himself.
    • Movie Release Date:March 9, 2018, starring 12 Years a Slave’s Storm Reid, Chris Pine (known for his roles in “Star Trek”, “This Means War”, “Into the Woods”,“Wonder Woman” etc.), Reese Witherspoon, (notable roles include “Legally Blonde”, “Sweet Home Alabama”, and voicing roles such as “Monsters vs. Aliens” and “Sing”), The Mindy Project’s Mindy Kaing, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw (known for her roles in “Touch”, “Black Mirror”, “Jupiter Ascending” and the live-action “Beauty and the Beast”)
    • Note: Bellamy Young, Rowan Blanchard, and Will McCormack will also appear but the roles haven’t been disclosed.

11. "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

• Book Plot: This story centers on Wade Watts trying to find the Easter Egg hidden in OASIS. What does any of that mean? Well, let me explain more. The novel is set in a dystopian future where the world has used up many of their fossil fuels. The world turned to virtual reality, entitled OASIS, to hide from their problems instead of fixing it. The creator of this game, James Halliday, announces that he installed an Easter Egg that when found, would grant the finder his [Halliday's] inheritance. Wade Watts discovers one of the three keys that point to the treasure, and he’s on his way to the rest. The story has great world building and many mentions of classic real world games.
    • Movie Release Date: March 30, 2018, starring Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl’s Olivia Cook, T.J. Miller (notable works include “Cloverfield”, “How to Train Your Dragon”, “Deadpool” and “Office Christmas Party”), Killjoy’s Hannah John-Kamen, Ben Mendelsohn (known for his roles in “The Dark Knight Rises”, “Starred Up”, and “Rogue One”), and Xmen: Apocalypse’s Tye Sheridan.
    • Note: The audiobook was released on August 16, 2011 (same day as the book) voiced by Wil Wheaton, who was mentioned in chapter 20 in the novel.

12. "Simon vs. Homo Sapiens Agenda" by Becky Albertalli

• Book Plot: This coming of age novel tells the story of 16-year-old closeted Simon, who struggles throughout high school, especially when classmate Martin finds emails between Simon and another anonymous boy (who uses the alias Blue). Simon tries to keep his secret, juggling blackmailing Martin, his friendships, and theater, all the while trying to figure out Blue’s identity.
    • Movie Release Date: March 16, 2018, starring Nick Robinson (known for his roles in “Jurassic World”, “The Kings of Summer”, “The 5th Wave”, “Being Charlie” and “Everything, Everything”), 13 Reasons Why’s Katherine Langford, Parenthood’s Miles Heizer, Alexandra Shipp (known for her roles in “Straight Outta Compton”, “House of Anubis”, and “Xmen: Apocalypse”), A Dog’s Purpose’s Logan Miller, Jennifer Garner (known roles include “Daredevil”, “13 Going on 30”, “The Odd Life of Timothy Green” etc.), Josh Duhamel (notable roles include the Transformer series, “Ramona and Beezus”, “When in Rome”, and “Battle Creek”) etc.
    • Note: There is a character in this novel (Abby Suso) that is related to main characters in Becky Albertalli’s other novel, “ The Upside of Unrequited” meaning that the universes connect. Another note is that there will be a sequel to "Simon vs. Homo Sapiens Agenda”, with the events told from Leah’s point of view.

13. “Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet” by Joanne Proulx

• Book Plot: When Luke Hunter accidentally predicts the death of his friend Stan exactly, his life spins into a whirlwind of mayhem. Not only is he falling for Stan’s girl Faith, but also the town has dubbed him a prophet and a death freak. This story explores the life of a teenager, how important it is to belong and how destructive it is to be isolated.
    • Movie Release Date: TBA 2018, starring Cameron Monaghan (best known for roles in “Gotham”, “Shameless”, “The Giver” etc.), Grayson Gabriel (known for “Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency”, “Just in Time for Christmas”, and “Stan Helsing”), Jessie’s TV star Peyton List, and Juliette Lewis (best roles for her television gigs such as “Natural Born Killers” and “From Duck til Dawn”).
    • Note: While the novel is entitled “Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet”, the film might be shortened to “Anthem”.

14. “All the Bright Places” by Jennifer Niven

• Book Plot: When Theodore Finch and Violet Markey met at the top of the bell tower, one seems to save the other. They form a friendship where they team up for a school project and not only explore Indiana by finding a way to live. However, as Violet begins to form, Finch might be beginning to falling apart. Jennifer Niven states this tale is “An exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.”
    • Movie Release Date: TBA 2018, the only star signed on as of now is Elle Fanning (main roles include “Phoebe in Wonderland”, “We Bought a Zoo”, “Maleficent” and “Young Ones”).
    • Note: The author of the book (Jennifer Niven) is also the writer of the film’s screenplay.

15. “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath

• Book Plot: This is a story about Esther Greenwood, an aspiring writer in a world with strict rules on womanhood. During her summer internship, her life seems to spiral downwards leading to a breakdown. Plath’s heartbreaking story forms into a tale of social acceptability and mental illness.
    • Movie Release Date: TBA 2018, starring Dakota Fanning (“ Uptown Girls”, “The Cat in the Hat”, “Charlotte’s Web”, “Very Good Girls ”, “Twilight”, as well as voice roles in “ Coraline”), Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad’s Jesse Plemons, Patricia Arquette (roles include “ True Romance”, “Boyhood”, etc.).
    • Note: The story contains real people and places. Slyvia Plath’s mental state might have been parallel to Esther, as a month after publication, Plath died via suicide

*Note that I didn’t write out all the films/TV appearances made by these celebrities (just the notable ones) because, to bring back an outdated meme, ain’t nobody got time for that.

Theses probably aren’t the only book-to-movie adaptions coming out, they just might come out later in life. However, don't fret as there are many books to movie adaptions that are pre-production but we'll hit theaters in due time. If you're one of those kinds of readers that prefer paperback over big screen adaptions, then congrats I guess, your favorite books are safe…for now.