13 Books That Every Strong, Independent Woman Needs To Read

Whether you're buying on a whim or you just need a book you can relate to.

639
feet and book

You can find all of these books on Amazon, by the way.

1. A Vindication of the Rights of Woman

Buy it on Amazon.

First published in 1792, proto-feminist Wollstonecraft took inspiration from the revolutionaries of her time, who demanded greater rights for mankind, to advocate for an even more socially-maligned group: women.

Independent, educated and intellectually esteemed, Wollstonecraft has been called one of the mothers of feminist theory, posing the idea of women as the natural and intellectual equals of men and deserving of equal treatment and opportunities nearly a hundred years before the term "feminist" even existed. (Baazar)

2. Gender Outlaw

Buy it on Amazon.

While non-binary may be a relatively new term to mainstream readers, non-binary people and writers have been discussing the complexities of gender fluidity for decades. Originally published in 1994 and recently revised and updated, self-described "nonbinary transfeminine diesel femme dyke" Bornstein explores the layers of cultural, political and social factors that inform and shape gender performance, calling out the rigid expectations of a gender binary as harmful to people of all presentations. (Baazar)

3. Little Women

Buy it on Amazon.

Though feminism may not have been on her mind when she wrote the story of the intrepid March sisters in the 1860s, Alcott has influenced numerous generations of bold, loving and unconventional women. Following Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy as they grow, find love, pursue their art and endure loss, Little Women shows the many ways to be a woman, and earned a place in the hearts of feminists of all stripes. (Baazar)

4. The Handmaids Tale

Buy it on Amazon.

First published in 1985, Atwood's book is about a near-future U.S. that has turned into a totalitarian state where women have nearly all their rights stripped from them. If this is sounding a little too close to home, you're not alone. It has also been turned into a forthcoming (April!) Hulu show starring Elisabeth Moss. (Buzzfeed)

5. You Do You: A Guide For Being Unapologetically In Love With Yourself

Buy it on Amazon.

In a world filled with 7.1 billion people, there is only one human being who is exactly like you. In your city, in your town, in your building, there's still only one you. No matter how you look at it, you're the only person on this planet who is your awesome self. You're the only you that there is—and you're magnificent. You Do You is a celebration of the radical act of actually loving yourself the way you deserve. There's only one you, so you might as well love yourself wholly and completely. (Amazon)

6. Men Explain Things To Me

Buy it on Amazon.

Solnit is the writer who essentially defined mansplaining, and this collection of essays shows how detrimental it can be to women's well-being and sense of self: "Men explain things to me, and other women, whether or not they know what they're talking about." Solnit's writing is trenchant but also hilarious, and anyone who has fumed at being spoken at — in person, on social media, over email or text — will find lots here to relate to, and get angry about. (Amazon)

7. How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t

Buy it on Amazon.

Andrea Owen is a life coach and her self-improvement book won't be like any you've ever read before. It'll teach you to stop listening to your inner critic and empower yourself to live a more fulfilling life. (Womans Day)

8. Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth

Buy it on Amazon.

Morning Joe co-host Mika Brzezinski tackles the connection between women's self-worth and financial and career success in her New York Times bestseller. Using interviews across industries and fields, she tells us how powerful women moved up in their careers and provides research-backed answers to why the gender wage persists and what to do about it. (Womans Day)

9. Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself

Buy it on Amazon.

This Amazon bestseller addresses an issue that still challenges women of all generations: codependency. Using the book's simple, straightforward strategies, readers can overcome destructive behavior, extricate themselves from other people's drama, and regain sight of their own lives. (Womans Day)

10. Fear of Flying

Buy it on Amazon.

This novel about female empowerment and freedom (said to have launched a sexual revolution) tells the story of Isadora Wing, who while at a crossroads in her five-year marriage, ditches her husband during a European trip to find a man who can ignite unbridled passion in her. What she finds instead are life lessons on liberation and happiness. (Womans Day)

11. The Boston Girl

Buy it on Amazon.

Anita Diamant's New York Times bestselling novel takes readers along on the life journey of protagonist, Addie Baum, a strong-willed daughter of Jewish immigrants, as she comes of age in Boston's North End in the early 1900s. This story of a young woman is the recounting of the now 85-year-old Addie's life. (Womans Day)

12. Milk and Honey

Buy it on Amazon.

The book is divided into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose. Deals with a different pain. Heals a different heartache. Milk and Honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look. (Amazon)

13. I Hope This Reaches Her in Time

Buy it on Amazon.

"I Hope This Reaches Her in Time," a new poetry collection by Instagram poet r.h. Sin, tells a story, a love story.

Sin has published several poetry collections, all of them since 2016. He's something of a "phenom."

The poems of "I Hope This Reaches Her in Time" are untitled, and so they become a kind of extended and deeply related narrative. That narrative is a love story, with its love both requited and unrequited. Sin speaks of temporary loves and permanent ones, if there's such a thing as permanent in this Instagram universe. Perhaps he writes a narrative of many love stories, and the emergence of these poems on the Instagram platform shapes them that way. (Amazon)

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.