Best Books to Read in College

Before you tell me, "reading isn't really my thing", think about how ridiculous that sounds.

We read every day and reading books should be something that doesn't feel like a chore to do. Our society is constantly surrounded by screens, moving objects and shining lights. When you're in the middle of finals or just having a bad day, picking up a book can be relaxing and influential.

As a college senior, I compiled a list of the books that have been positive influencers on my college experience with lessons I will carry even after I graduate...

1. "The Idiot" by Elif Batuman

I was at a local bookstore the week this book came out. I remember seeing the front display of these beautiful, millennial pink books and thought, "I can't purchase a book because I like the color of it." I returned to the store about a month later, where there were only a few copies left. In the coffee shop connected to the store, there were multiple people reading the book along with employees insisting it's their favorite new release. I bought it. Then I didn't read it. Finally, I found the book on my shelf and read it. I'm glad I read the book while still in college, while the character is completely opposite to my personality and my experiences, there was something familiar about everything she went through.

2. "Welcome to Adulting" by J.P Pokluda

I read a preview of this book on Amazon and was instantly interested. This is a book I think about a lot. I'll be sitting at work, answering emails, then I'll remember a chapter from the book and have a good ponder. It doesn't feel like a life-changing book when you first read it, but it truly is something special.

3. "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch

This book fell into my lap one day when I was working for my previous job. I've never even heard of it before, but all of my co-workers, who were my age mind you, insisted that this was one of the most influential books they have ever read. It took me a while to get through, I'm not exactly sure why, but it really was an unforgettable read.

4. "Uninvited" by Lysa TerKeurst

My best friend read this book and will actively recommend this book to anyone who tells us they're hurting. She says no matter which season of life you're in, you'll get something out of it, but primarily will loan a copy to anyone who feels like they don't have their place in the world yet.

5. "Eleanor and Park" by Rainbow Rowell

I have such a soft spot in my heart for this book. I'm not exactly sure why. I think because it shows how people who are so different can be thinking the exact same things. It's an easy read, it'll take you a weekend. It hits the feels every time.

6. "Everybody Always" by Bob Goff

Similar to The Last Lecture, this was a book passed around my office. Similar to Welcome to Adulting, this a book I think about a lot. It's not a preachy book. It doesn't tell you what to do, but it challenges how you think and how you would respond to specific situations. We could use a little more love in this world, and this book is a place to learn how to give it.