6 Books I Wish I Could Read Again For The First Time

In need of a book recommendation? Got you covered.

595
Photo by Abby Chung from Pexels

There is a certain magic that comes with reading a book for the first time. You slowly wear out the pages as you work through it, enjoying it during early mornings and late nights.

Maybe the ending took you by surprise or maybe the characters captured your heart a little more than you expected, but regardless of the reason, it becomes one of your favorites.

But no matter how many times you read it, there isn't a time that comes close to when you first picked it up. It's still an amazing book, but now you know how it ends and you anticipate your favorite lines and scenes more.

Simply put, there are some books that you just wish you could experience for the first time all over again.

For this very reason, here are six books that I always recommend to fellow readers.

1. "The Bell Jar" by Slyvia Plath

This book was the first book I was required to read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Usually, required reading is a synonym for outdated snooze-fests but this one was different. Plath has a way with her words and describes early womanhood and mental health in a way that makes readers simultaneously understand and feel understood.

2. "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott

While a family of girls experiencing life's ups and downs during the Civil War Era doesn't seem to be that exciting, it is definitely a book that surprises you. Alcott is humorous and captivating as she tells the story of the March family, and knowing her backstory makes Jo's character come to life.

3. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" by J.K. Rowling

The Harry Potter series is an incredible read, but out of all of them, "The Prisoner of Azkaban" sticks out the most. Our favorite trio is a little older and a little wiser in this one, and the elements of time travel and family secrets add to the overall suspense.

4. "The Last Night Of The Earth Poems" by Charles Bukowski

Ok, this one isn't really a book but rather a collection of poems. Bukowski's poetry is depressingly blunt but real, and this collection (and many others by him) are worth the read.

5. "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald 

I know this suggestion sounds a bit cliche, but it's valid. Fitzgerald brought up a lot of important issues that occurred during the 20s in "The Great Gatsby," and the way he writes about romance and love can make anyone swoon. This was the first book that made me realize that no matter how much you want something, sometimes the cards are just not in your favor (ahem, @JayGatsby).

6. "Know My Name" by Chanel Miller

By nature, I'm a pretty fast reader. However, I could not finish "Know My Name" as quickly as I usually finish books. It wasn't because it was boring or a difficult read, but because it was heavy on the heart. Chanel Miller talks about sexual assault and rape so clearly and eloquently, it can bring you to tears (multiple times). Everyone should read this.

Hopefully you find these recommendations to be just as great as I do!