A Bone-Afide Genius
Health Wellness

A Bone-Afide Genius

The fun and quirkiness of being a kid as an adult.

133
A Bone-Afide Genius
Austin Bennett

I am 18 years old, turning 19 in two months. I have not played with toys for some years now, most of them having been thrown or given away. My toy chest holds only a fraction of my old figurines and such from when I was younger and I have the constant urge to also discard those. Now, I am not saying toys are for kids and that adults cannot have fun with them, but being in college now and growing up, toys just ae not a part of my everyday life. That was, until I saw the little $15.00 skeleton hanging in Target during October. My inner child surfaced and I bought one. I named him George and immediately started taking pictures if him. I got him a little bench to sit on, cut out a scrap of a newspaper and set it up like he was reading it, and I even gave him a friend, Georgina. I started to make elaborate scenes with random objects around my dorm room. I even created an Instagram page for him and gained a handsome amount of followers.

Now, you might be wondering why I decided to invest my money, time, and resources into a silly toy and decoration. Well, it hit me as I was standing there in Target, debating whether or not to spend the money. As a society, we focus on growing up. We are always telling people to grow up, mature, or to "act your age." These concepts are embedded into us from a very young age and by the time we reach college and beyond, we are expected to be professional all the time. It sometimes even feels as though we are expected to have no creativity or playfulness in our lives.

I feel as though we get so caught up in our work, studies, and life that we disregarded the small things. I have had a blast the past two and a half months or playing with George and Georgina, and as silly as it may sound, it makes me laugh and it makes me happy. It puts smiles on peoples faces and I hope it reminds them that it's okay to have a little fun. Be creative and think outside the box. Everyone should have their own George, and for me, that's a 15" skeleton who I dress up and play with.