Bold, Beautiful, Bald

Bold, Beautiful, Bald

The journey into shaving it all off

64
Bold, Beautiful, Bald

One day this summer I shaved off my hair into a buzz cut. Loving the experience I decided it was time to now actually kick it up a notch and shave it completely bald. I blasted some Brittney and got to shaving. Here is what I learned.

1. People notice when you break societal norms

I am talking about everybody, even strangers. You are probably sitting there right now saying "well yea you were bald". However, why is a woman being bald against societal norms? Why do we hold false constructs as undeniable truth? Why and how are people so bound to these constructs that a bald head consistently turns heads? I do not have to have long hair, short hair, curly hair, nor even any hair at all.

If you do shave your head, be ready for some stares!

5 minutes after shaving head

2. Showers do not have a mandatory minimum of thirty minutes

I never understood how people could be in and out of the shower within five minutes until I shaved my head. I then realized that the other twenty-five minutes were then a cocktail of introspection, self-loathing, and restricted dance moves.

3. Meeting better boys

Shaving my head has attracted more intelligent, thoughtful, and respectful boys, rather than the normal scum-bucket hooligans who used to try being flirtatious.

4. Breaking free from always feeling the need to look perfect

I used to always overdo my makeup and hair do's, and luckily, through having my head, I have been able to separate myself from the beauty routines. Although I still adore various products, I found my identity does not rely upon my glitziest palette.

5. Everyone can fuck off

I learned everyone can fuck off somewhere else. You will get lots of crass, ignorant responses, however, the best thing to manage their increasing levels of annoyance is to simply remember "fuck them".

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F11%2F28%2F636159645040398623-1623947670_fuck-off.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=418&h=023cb77a55c40f71b3a633d6950d4194c0a728e3f6b16f0c5eb475f7c56e315c&size=980x&c=3372764570 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F11%252F28%252F636159645040398623-1623947670_fuck-off.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D418%26h%3D023cb77a55c40f71b3a633d6950d4194c0a728e3f6b16f0c5eb475f7c56e315c%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3372764570%22%7D" expand=1]

6. Focusing because a lot easier

7. You become far more aware of petty insecurities

I noticed early on through this experience that you become far more aware of those pesky little insecurities floating around your mind. I've gone to take my hat off in a store, and looked around to ensure there were no cuties that'd be able to see me. Then in an instant I realized who. gave. a. shit. about.what.cuties. thought. I look gorgeous even without hair and the fact that insecurities run rampant every five seconds and actually try to force me into caring about other's useless opinions, is now a huge concern of mine. I am far better able to overcome my insecurities and silence them, as I go through this journey.

8. Olive Oil & Castor Oil become your best-friends

Your scalp will get SOOOOO DRY.

9. Winter is actually cold

Having a bald head means getting cold in .02 seconds. Cold does even begin to exist until you've shaved or lost all your hair.

10. Figuring out who your real friends are

Real friends do not shame you for your bald head, call you ugly, nor consistently humiliate you for your choices. It is easier to observe and be aware of the world around you when you lose something you were once heavily attached to. It's like not being able to feel wind on your skin until you take off all the layers. Shaving my head was removing a layer.

11. You begin to figure out who you really are